Security Engineer, Application Security
San Francisco, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Our drivers and passengers entrust Lyft with their personal information and travel details to get where they're going and expect us to keep that data safe. Lyft's security team leads efforts across the company to ensure our systems are secure and worthy of our users' trust.
Lyft Security designs and builds Lyft's security architecture, consults with other teams as they build and launch new products and features, proactively plans for the unexpected, and responds to incidents that occur. Our work affects the entire company and takes place at all levels of the stack, from infrastructure to web application security, as well as mobile apps, IT, bikes, scooters, and autonomous vehicles. We try to approach security from a software engineering standpoint. We believe in scaling security through automation and tooling and we ship frequently. Check out our blog posts at https://eng.lyft.com/tagged/security to learn more about some of the things we’ve built.
The Application Security team’s mission: Empower the company to ship secure products. Provide clear guidance on secure code and implement quality gates across our software delivery pipeline.
We’re looking for the right person to join our team to perform service and application security review, and move us along our maturity journey. In order to be scalable, each secure code quality gate must be automated and integrated into our software release pipeline. Our grand vision is a fully automated series of quality controls that constantly validate that our code is secure.Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with teams across Lyft to develop and ensure security best practices are leveraged as we roll out new features and expand our service offerings
- Review tech specs and suggest feedback to build secure products
- Threat model and code review of features/services
- Proactively research new attack vectors that may affect Lyft
- Research and implement automated code security quality gates
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners both internally and externally
- Be a subject matter expert for security of Lyft products and services
- Support the Lyft bug bounty program
- Present findings, recommendations and results to leadership
Security superstars come from many backgrounds. We encourage you to apply even if you do not match this list perfectly.
- Threat modelling, code review (Python, Go), penetration testing against cloud environments and/or mobile (iOS/Android)
- Development skills to automate code security assessment
- Scripting experience to automate and scale your impact
- Computer networking concepts and protocols, application and network security methodologies
- Network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense-in-depth)
- Ability to communicate complex information, concepts, or ideas in a confident and well-organized manner through verbal, written, and/or visual means
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience giving security conference talks
- Bug bounty research
- Capture the flag (CTF) experience
- Experience with (or a deep interest in) computer security, ideally in both attacking and defending services
- When facing a problem that's poorly defined or outside of your expertise, you can quickly learn what you need to dig in, make sense of the problem, and start working towards a solution
- You're a great communicator and can advocate for your proposals while also empathizing with your teammates' goals and priorities
- You understand that security work must be prioritized because all teams have finite resources. You have good judgment and a sense of when to compromise and when to hold your ground
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.