XOR Security is currently seeking a talented SOAR/Detection Engineer for a Federal Agency Security Operation Center (SOC). Our project is aimed at establishing cutting-edge techniques for network defense capability with an optimized toolset. The SOC program provides comprehensive Computer Network Defense and Response support through 24×7×365 monitoring and analysis of potential threat activity targeting the enterprise.
To ensure the integrity, security, and resiliency of critical operations, we are seeking candidates with diverse backgrounds in cyber security systems operations, analysis and incident response. Strong written and verbal communications skills are a must along with the ability to work shift.
This effort will require a skilled engineer with leadership and hands-on technical experience designing, implementing, and maintaining alert use cases and automations for a cyber program. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with SIEM architecture (Qradar or Splunk) optimizing datasets, alert use cases, and visualizations. In addition, the candidate will have development operation (devops) experience deploying automations in an operational environment.
Corporate duties such as solution/proposal development, corporate culture development, mentoring employees, supporting recruiting efforts, will also be required. The program is currently operating remotely but will be performed onsite in Alexandria, VA when directed to do so by the customer.
Position is contingent on successfully completing a program-based background investigation.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify gaps in malicious activity detection capabilities.
- Create new signatures / rules to improve detection of malicious activity.
- Test and tune existing signatures / rules to ensure low rate of false positives.
- Assist in playbook development for alert triage and Incident Response.
- Define and implement alert and threat detection metrics, statistics, and analytics.
- Recommend new tools/technologies to improve network visibility.
- Support Incident Response and Forensic operations as required to include static/dynamic malware analysis and reverse engineering.
- Author and maintain scripts for threat detection and automation.
- Minimum 7 years of experience within cyber operations – specifically analysis and engineering.
- At least 2 years experience developing automations and/or use cases.
- At least 1 year experience deploying automations in a SOAR platform (e.g. Phantom, Swimlane).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or equivalent experience.
- In-depth knowledge of Firewalls/Proxies/Intrusion Detection Systems/ Domain Name Servers/DHCP/VPN and other network technologies and tools.
- Experience updating, maintaining, and creating IDS variables within a complex enterprise network.
- Expert in creating, modifying, tuning IDS signatures/SIEM Correlation Searches/yara rules and/or other detection signatures.
- Familiarity with disk based forensic methodologies, Windows, and Linux forensic artifacts.
- Experience with Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) tools such as Carbon Black, Tanium, Crowdstrike, etc.
- Able to create, modify, update, and maintain Python and Powershell scripts that enhance endpoint detection capabilities.
- In-depth knowledge of attacker tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience in using the MITRE ATT&CK framework to devise high confidence use cases contextual to an organization.
- Experience administering hardware, software, operating systems, and application components of various isolated network environments. These components include Windows workstations/servers, Linux/Unix servers, Mac OSX, Dell, and security applications.
- Strong background in network engineering and systems administration with the ability to maintain systems with 99% uptime requirements (including on-call and weekend support if required).
- Experience with the configuration, installation of log management solutions, Dynamic/Static Malware Analysis systems, enterprise honeynet technologies, and Network/host-based security applications and appliances.
- Experience with deployment and documentation of enterprise project management and change management processes.
- Experience with the configuration, installation (including hardware deployment), or O&M of one or more of the following technologies: Network Threat Hunting, Log Management, Crowdstrike Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Qradar SIEM, workflow and ticketing, and Intrusion Detection/Prevention System, Storage Area Network (SAN) platform, *NIX/Windows Operating Systems, and virtual and cloud computing (VMware, Azure, AWS).
- Draft technical requirements, configuration management, and planning documentation
- 2 years experience supporting a SOC program as an analyst or cyber threat hunter.
- Experience with Docker (managing containers, networking containers, container orchestration).
- Automation experience to support CI/CD pipeline (tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet).
- Understanding of command line scripting and implementation. (e.g., Python, Powershell).
- Understanding of command line scripting and implementation. (e.g., Python, Powershell)
- Strong understanding of networking. (TCP Flags, TCP Handshake, IP addressing, Firewalls, Proxy, IDS, IPS).
- Ability to perform Netflow / packet capture (PCAP) analysis.
- One or more of the following certifications:
- GCIH – Incident Handler
GCFA – Forensic Analyst
GCFE – Forensic Examiner
GREM – Reverse Engineering Malware
GISF – Security Fundamentals
GXPN – Exploit Researcher and Advanced Penetration Tester
OSCP (Certified Professional)
OSCE (Certified Expert)
OSWP (Wireless Professional)
OSEE (Exploitation Expert)
CCFP – Certified Cyber Forensics Professional
CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security
CHFI – Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
LPT – Licensed Penetration Tester
ECSA – EC-Council Certified Security Analyst
Windows Forensic Examinations – FTK WFE-FTK
Computer Incident Responders Course - CIRC
Windows Forensic Examination – EnCase – Counter Intelligence (CI) - WFE-E-CI
Forensics and Intrusions in a Windows Environment -FIWE
- SIEM-specific certifications.
XOR Security offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from the first day of employment, 401k with a vested company match, vacation and supplemental insurance benefits.
XOR Security is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). M/F/D/V.
Citizenship Clearance Requirement
Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements - US CITIZENSHIP and PUBLIC TRUST CLEARANCE REQUIRED.
Tags: Analytics Ansible Automation AWS Azure CHFI CI/CD CISSP Clearance Clearance Required Cloud Computer Science DevOps Docker ECSA EDR EnCE Exploit Firewalls Forensics GCFA GCIH GREM GXPN IDS Incident response Intrusion detection IPS Linux Malware MITRE ATT&CK Monitoring OSCE OSCP OSEE OSWP PCAP PowerShell Puppet Python QRadar Reverse engineering Scripting SIEM SOAR Splunk Threat detection UNIX VMware VPN Windows
Other jobs like this
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Firewalls-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open SOC 2-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs