Application Security Engineer
AnthropicAnthropic is an AI safety and research company that's working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems.
About AnthropicAnthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Lead “shift left” security efforts to build security into the software development lifecycle.
- Conduct secure design reviews and threat modeling. Identify and prioritize risks, attack surfaces, and vulnerabilities.
- Perform security code reviews of source code changes and advise developers on remediating vulnerabilities and following secure coding practices.
- Manage Anthropic's vulnerability management program. Triage and prioritize vulnerabilities from scans, audits, and bug bounty submissions. Track remediation and validate fixes.
- Oversee Anthropic's bug bounty program. Set scope, triage submissions, coordinate disclosure with engineering teams, and reward bounties. Cultivate relationships with the ethical hacker community.
- Research and recommend security tools and technologies to strengthen defenses against emerging threats targeting machine learning systems.
- Develop and document security policies, standards, and playbooks. Conduct security awareness training for engineers.
- Collaborate closely with product engineers and researchers to instill security best practices. Advocate for secure architecture, design, and development.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have 5+ years of hands-on experience in application and infrastructure security, including securing cloud-based and containerized environments.
- Have empathy, collaboration skills, and a learning mindset to work cross-functionally with engineers of all levels to build security into the product life cycle.
- Can use creative and strategic thinking to reduce risk through secure design and simplicity, not just controls.
- Possess broad security knowledge to connect the dots across domains and identify holistic ways to lower the overall threat surface.
- Have the ability to distill complex security concepts into clear actions and drive consensus without direct authority.
- Have a proactive mindset to thread security throughout the product lifecycle through activities like threat modeling, secure code review, and education.
- Have strong grasp of offensive security to anticipate risks from an adversary's perspective, not just check compliance boxes.
- Have experience with modern application stacks, infrastructure, and security tools to implement pragmatic defenses.
- Are passionate for security fundamentals like least privilege, defense-in-depth, and eliminating complexity that could sub-linearly scale security through smart design.
Strong candidates may also:
- Have hands-on technical expertise securing complex cloud environments and microservices architectures leveraging technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS / GCP.
- Have experience with offensive security techniques like vulnerability testing, pen testing, and red team exercises.
- Have familiarity with AI/ML security risks such as data poisoning, model extraction, adversarial examples, etc. and mitigations.
- Have experience building security tools, scripts, and automations.
- Have a solid foundational knowledge of security engineering principles and technologies. Keen to continue learning.
- Possess excellent communication skills, able to distill complex security topics for broad audiences.
- Have a passion for security and protecting users. Willingness to constructively challenge assumptions to drive security.
Candidates need not have:
- 100% of the skills needed to perform the job
- Formal certifications or education credentials
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $300-$405k
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
US Benefits - The following benefits are for our US-based employees:- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.- Fertility benefits via Carrot.- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
UK Benefits - The following benefits are for our UK-based employees:- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.- Private health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents.- Pension contribution (matching 4% of your salary).- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!- Health cash plan.- Life insurance and income protection.- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. Employees based outside of the UK or US will receive a different benefits package. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're differentWe believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.
Tags: Application security Audits AWS Cloud Compliance Computer Science Docker GCP Kubernetes LLMs Machine Learning Microservices Offensive security Pentesting Physics Red team SDLC Vulnerabilities Vulnerability management
Perks/benefits: Career development Competitive pay Equity Fertility benefits Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Lunch / meals Parental leave Relocation support Team events Unlimited paid time off
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Specialist jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Security Specialist jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Infosec Risk Manager jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open C-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open EDR-related jobs