Cyber Security Consultant - ESO
Warwick, GB, CV34 6DA
National GridWe are one of the world’s largest investor-owned energy companies, committed to delivering electricity and gas safely, reliably and efficiently to the customers and communities we serve.
About the role
This is the time for action – we need to move at pace and reform our energy system – to deliver energy security, to tackle climate change and to protect our people.
As Cyber Security Consultant, you will work closely with business stakeholders to understand their business model and roadmap for technology, acting as an interface between the business and the cyber security organisation.
Management of relationships with the business is key to delivering our cybersecurity strategy. Whether it be implementing new solutions, driving operational effectiveness and efficiency, or providing guidance back to further enhance our strategy, the Cyber Security Consultant provides the engagement and builds stakeholder relationships to enable the security organisation to deliver maximum value to ESO.
The role will ensure the secure design and secure implementation of technology solutions, platforms, and infrastructure to support:
• The business as it transforms its services to meet zero carbon operability
• Separation of the ESO business into an independent organisation
This role can be based from Wokingham or Warwick, and we continue to offer hybrid working from office and home.
Our mission is to facilitate the decarbonisation of Great Britain’s energy network and ensure the delivery of reliable, affordable, and green electricity for consumers. We work with stakeholders across the whole energy industry to plan for future network needs, using insight to make sure we can balance the system today and find opportunities to transform the way it operates tomorrow.
Becoming the Future System Operator
In 2021, government and Ofgem jointly consulted on proposals for an expert, impartial Future System Operator (FSO) with responsibilities across both the electricity and gas systems, to drive progress towards net zero while maintaining energy security and minimising costs for consumers. In October 2023, the Energy Act 2023 was passed, legislating for this Future System Operator to be created.
The ESO, including all of its existing roles, will be at the heart of the new Future System Operator. We will be taking on additional roles across vectors and sectors to create an organisation with a whole energy system mindset; enabling us to identify solutions to our energy system that are more sustainable, secure, and affordable for all.
The FSO will be set up as a public corporation with operational independence from government – bringing parties together to support optimised decision making and action. As now, it will be licenced and regulated by Ofgem through price control agreements. It is anticipated that the new organisation will be up and running in 2024.
The time to act on climate change is now. As part of our team, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in Great Britain – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
- Day to day engagement with project and IT teams to advise and consult on security matters
- Act as a trusted advisor to IT programmes for security related matters
- Coordination of technical design/review activities with various segments within the security team
- Responsible for ensuring that key risks and issues are identified, addressed, and resolved in a manner that satisfies the business
- Solid understanding of IT services across both cloud and on-premises gained through experience or knowledge
- Solid understanding of security principles gained through experience or knowledge and how to apply them in an IT context
- Understanding of:
- Security services across the administrative and technical suite
- Malware defences
- Network security services – Firewalls, IDS, IPS, Proxy, VPN etc.
- Techniques used to harden operating environments including Windows, Linux, and Oracle
- Risk management techniques
- Experience in integrating IT Services with Security services e.g. Vulnerability scanning, SIEM
- Knowledge of the Networks and Information Systems Regulations 2018 (NIS-R)
- Strong written and spoken communication
- Prepared to challenge and have the difficult conversations where needed in the interests of ESO
- Able to operate as efficiently as an independent worker and as part of a team
- Preferably somebody who has done hands on IT in the past and understands the pragmatic approach sometimes required
- Prior Critical National Infrastructure (CNI) or utilities industry experience an advantage but not essential
- IT based higher education an advantage but not essential
- IT and or security certifications an advantage but not essential
What you’ll get
A competitive salary between £55,000 – 60,000 – dependent on experience and capability.
As well as your base salary, you will receive a bonus based on company performance, 26 days annual leave as standard and a competitive contributory pension scheme where we will double match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%.
As we work towards creating a cleaner, greener, and more affordable future for all, we also work towards creating a place for our teammates to belong, with professional and personal growth and positive well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximise your potential along your career journey.
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table.
- Generous Total Rewards Plan – comprising of health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits.
This role closes on 22/02/2024 at 23:59, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not wait until the published closing date as this can vary.
We work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office.
We're committed to building a workforce that represents the communities we serve, and a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential.
Please note this position is subject to National Security Vetting
More jobs like this
Toronto, Ontario, Canada Toronto, Ontario, Canada Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 58K - 107K USD 58K+
DevSec Ops, Cyber Risk, Consultant/Senior ConsultantAgile Ansible Application security Automation AWS Azure +24
Career development Competitive pay Equity Flexible spending account Flex vacation +4
Toronto-81 Bay, 17th Floor Toronto-81 Bay, 17th Floor Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 75K - 140K * USD 75K+ *
Consultant, Information SecurityActive Directory Analytics Automation Banking Business Intelligence Computer Science +16
Career development Competitive pay Startup environment Team events
Seattle, WA, United States Seattle, WA, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 101K - 139K USD 101K+
Palo Alto Networks
Consultant, DFIR, Reactive Services (Unit 42)C Computer Science DFIR EnCase Firewalls Forensics +5
Career development Conferences Medical leave Salary bonus Startup environment
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Specialist jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Infosec Risk Manager jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open C-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs