Cloud Security Engineer
Remote, Chicago, IL
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
Civis is seeking a Cloud Security Engineer to enhance the security of the Civis Data Science Platform hosted on AWS. This position will work very closely with the Director of Information Security on setting and executing Civis’ cloud security strategy and driving cloud security solutions that meet key security program milestones and cost objectives.
As a Cloud Security Engineer, you will be responsible for championing AWS cloud security, with broad knowledge of system and data security, threat and vulnerability management and AWS security services and best practices to ensure that the Civis Data Science Platform is adequately protected against internal and external threats, as well as operating in compliance with SOC2 and FedRAMP requirements.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about cloud security and who implements creative solutions to a wide variety of real-world technical issues. An ideal candidate would bring with them expertise in creative problem solving, the ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel, and the ability to manage expectations in a fast-paced environment, all while maintaining a high quality of work. We are looking for an individual who can rapidly adapt and learn new technologies/concepts.
- Lead Civis’ Cloud Security by working alongside both engineering and security teams to enhance the security of Civis Data Science Platform and to ensure our AWS infrastructure is well-protected.
- Responsible for developing technical our cloud security plan, evaluating/reviewing existing cloud security configuration, and proposing improvements for future enhancements/solutions.
- Develop, maintain and implement information security policies, standards and procedures and ensure projects related to Information Technology infrastructure and Engineering adhere to Security by Design principles.
- Assess the risk of open source libraries, applications and architectures through threat modeling and communicating potential vulnerabilities.
- Help to define and implement SecDevOps and SDLC practices across Civis’s engineering team, promoting a security-first mindset.
- Provide security insights to developers to build security metrics into our products.
- Perform continuous security assessments, reports findings and provide recommendations to the Director of Information Security.
- Work with various stakeholders and assist in the development and maintenance of the access control matrices as they apply to various applications.
- 2+ years of hands-on AWS cloud security experience.
- 3+ years of technical hands-on security engineering experience.
- Hands-on experience with Python scripting language.
- Familiar with application security frameworks and tooling such as SAST, DAST and/or SCA.
- Deep understanding of AWS security solutions - e.g.,IAM, security groups, VPC, Security Hub, ECR, Inspectors, and best practices.
- Strong foundational knowledge in information technology, including cloud services, networking, architecture, protocols, file systems, and linux operating systems.
- Passionate about SecDevOps and promoting security culture across the organization.
- Ability to comfortably collaborate across IT disciplines and teams including third parties and be able to provide constructive input into the discussion.
- Ability to work rapidly with the pressure of completing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced team environment.
- Attention to details, and understanding how systems thinking can improve to make an impact with smart moves in people, processes, and technologies
- Provide emergency on-call support on a rotating schedule.
- Excellence in documentation of policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Strong problem-solving and process improvement skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Pertinent AWS Certifications.
- Experience with SaaS products.
- Experience with data encryption and access control.
- Practical experience in implementing and monitoring information security compliance and frameworks (e.g., NIST CSF, CIS Top 20, FedRAMP, SOC2).
- Demonstrated ability to translate requirements into design and subsequent solution build.
- Experience applying security risk assessment methodology to system development, including threat model development, vulnerability assessments, and resultant security risk analysis.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Other jobs like this
Staff Application Security EngineerApplication security Automation Banking Blockchain C Crypto Penetration testing Python Scala Security assessments +1
Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +4
Explore more Cyber Security career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Officer 3 jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Vulnerability Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Audits-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs