Sr. Security Engineer, Detection & Response
San Francisco, CA
Cruise LLCWe’re Cruise, a self-driving car service designed for the cities we love.
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
Want to work with some of the best security engineers in the industry, all while contributing to the development of robust and innovative pipelines, detections, incident response and forensics?
Cruise’s Detection & Response team defends against adversaries and internal threats. We are focused on protecting Cruise: our autonomous vehicles and technology, our employees, and our customers. To accomplish this, we are building robust and innovative data pipelines and detections, automating incident response, and developing groundbreaking solutions to collect and forensically analyze data in both security incidents and investigations.
Cruise is approaching commercialization, and we are looking for a senior security engineer with experience responding to security incidents in corporate environments. In this role, you will be supporting both security incidents and internal investigations. On the incident front, you will be triaging alerts and identifying opportunities to fine-tune our detections, evaluating detection opportunities, performing network and host analysis, developing and refining response playbooks, and working cross-functionally with teams within and outside of Security to investigate security incidents. In investigations, you will partner with investigative partners in Legal, Global Security and Employee Relations to identify the truth. Your role is gathering and analyzing digital evidence across Cruise’s applications, network and hosts, documenting findings, and communicating them to business partners.
You should possess extensive experience in security engineering (with exposure to incident response and investigations), outstanding communication and organizational skills, a curiosity about developing solutions to hard problems, and a passion for security. If that’s you, we’re really excited to talk.
What you’ll be doing:
- Triage alerts and performing host and network analysis in support of incident investigations
- Develop incident playbooks for new and existing detections
- Lead both security incidents and internal investigations
- Contribute to security incident reports
- Spearhead deeply-technical and complex projects focused on securing Cruise
- Build and support relationships with key cross-functional partners within and outside of Security
- Partnering with the team’s Technical Program Manager to schedule and prioritize large projects
What you must have:
- Extensive experience working as a security engineer, with exposure to incident response
- Ability to maintain composure and organization in the midst of high-intensity incidents
- Exceptional communication skills with a knack for building relationships cross-functionally to support incidents and investigations
- Intimate knowledge of core network protocols, with a demonstrated ability to query and analyze network logs in incidents and investigations
- Coding/scripting proficiency in one or more languages
- Experience performing log analysis in cloud environments (GCP, AWS, Azure) and across multiple SIEMs
- Experience performing analysis within EDR solutions (i.e. Carbon Black, CrowdStrike Falcon)
- Experience with datasets generated by osquery, and Bro/Zeek
- In-depth knowledge of disk structures and experience performing file system and operating system forensics, with significant expertise in at least one OS (Mac, Windows or Linux)
- Experience developing high-fidelity detections from complex datasets
- Fluency in SQL for querying complex data sets
- Experience performing data collection and analysis in cloud environments
- Expertise in static and dynamic malware analysis
- Experience performing analysis within EDR solutions (i.e. Carbon Black, CrowdStrike Falcon)
- Contributions to the security community (open source, public research, blogging, presentations, etc)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Explore more Information Security career opportunities
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Vulnerability Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Personnel Security Officer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Incident Response Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering jobs
- Open Staff Engineer, Cloud Security jobs
- Open Security Officer 3 jobs
- Open Software Security Engineer jobs
- Open Privacy Manager jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open HIPAA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs