Security Engineer, IAM
Remote - USA
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. Additionally, we protect the company and its employees from the numerous risks
that they face, enabling them to work productively and safely using state of the art tooling. We’re looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will become a key security expert for identity and access management (IAM) products, systems, and features, and act as a liaison between IT Operations and Security.
- You will develop deep empathy for employees and other stakeholders, and balance security with business needs based on a “long term pain minimization” ethic.
- Perform architecture reviews to steer projects in the right direction early, conduct security reviews, and help develop security ownership of IAM systems used at Coinbase.
- Help drive security policy to balance employee productivity and desired tooling, project feasibility, risk, cost, and other tradeoffs as appropriate.
- Grant and manage security exceptions to closure while maintaining a strong “customer centric” communications ethic.
- Create threat models for systems you’re responsible for, and leverage them to prioritize time based on risk impact.
- Build and configure proofs of concept that demonstrate and test required IAM capabilities.
What we look for in you:
- Our hiring process tests your competencies in our core technical skillset as described in the ‘what you’ll be doing’ section. Having a history exhibiting high quality execution in our core competencies will help your case.
- Our IAM stack spans many products and protocols. Proficiency in several is required. Some relevant ones are: Okta, Duo, Yubikey, LDAP, SAML, OAuth, and OpenID Connect.
- We expect you to be capable of shifting between architectural reviews, writing policy, consulting with engineers or managers, and writing and speaking eloquently and persuasively.
- Drive organizational change to ensure that Coinbase remains at least one step ahead of our attackers, managing upwards and cross team as appropriate.
- Software development experience or education (especially in Go) sufficient for prototyping capabilities in code.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry. We would love to have you take the essentials of what you’ve learned and apply them to the unique challenges Coinbase faces in Digital Assets.
- If you have hands-on experience configuring and managing key IAM systems for large organizations, we can immediately start applying what you’ve learned to the systems and workflows we are asked to secure. Experience training others on how to secure those is a plus.
- If you’re fluent in Digital Assets, you’ll have less to learn about the fundamentals of our business, but we do not immediately decline candidates who are not totally fluent.
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we’d love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution works. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Explore more Information Security career opportunities
- Open Vulnerability Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Incident Response Analyst jobs
- Open Personnel Security Officer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Sr. Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open IAM Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Engineer, Cloud Security jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Privacy Manager jobs
- Open Software Security Engineer jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open HIPAA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs