Senior Backend Engineer - Secure: Threat Insights
This Backend Engineer position is 100% remote.
It's an exciting time to join GitLab. We're the world's largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
The goal of our team is to allow customers to manage their security risks effectively and efficiently. Backend engineers are part of the Threat Insights group, a cross-functional Agile team responsible for the Vulnerability Management category.
Our group has exposure and opportunities to collaborate with all other Secure and Protect groups, including Product and Design colleagues. We receive constant feedback from real users, both internal and external.
The number of monthly active users for our features continues to see a huge growth after 2 years. We now report on millions of monthly vulnerabilities for thousands of projects on gitlab.com, and we generate a significant portion of revenue from paying customers.
Backend engineers contribute to new features, enhancements, and deliver performance improvements needed to support our category’s growth.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of the Compliance group and play a key role in maturing GitLab's Compliance offering.
- Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity with boring solutions. Everyone is responsible for finding ways to simplify and improve the features we own.
- Consider user experience throughout your work, to help make every feature lovable.
- Learn and possibly help shape "best practices" for the software industry.
- Collaborate with people across a variety of disciplines.
- Grow your skills in Ruby on Rails, PostgresSQL, and Git.
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Engage in the trainee maintainer program at your own comfortable pace, while striving to become a full-fledged project maintainer.
You should apply if you bring:
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of an organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
You'll stand out if you bring:
- Familiarity with, or an interest in, Compliance frameworks and concepts (like HIPAA, PCI, SOX, etc).
- Experience with database scaling.
- Experience with vulnerability management products.
- Specialist knowledge in PostgreSQL features and performance optimization.
Also, we know it's tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don't have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Backend Engineer or Senior Backend Engineer, Manage: Compliance position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.
Explore more Information Security career opportunities
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst Jobs
- Open SOC Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester Jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Information Security Architect Jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Information Security Officer Jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Vulnerability Analyst Jobs
- Open Personnel Security Officer Jobs
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer Jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst Jobs
- Open IAM Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering Jobs
- Open Senior Incident Response Analyst Jobs
- Open DevOps Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff Engineer, Cloud Security Jobs
- Open Privacy Manager Jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Cybersecurity and Trust Jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst Jobs
- Open NIST-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open HIPAA-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs