Senior Vulnerability Research Engineer
This Senior Vulnerability Research Engineer position is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
You'll be at the forefront of our R&D efforts in our Engineering department in this role. You’ll be expected to focus on improving GitLab’s security detection capabilities in our Secure and Protect stage groups. This includes SAST, DAST and future products.
Vulnerability Research Engineers perform research to analyze software vulnerabilities, exploitation methods, track new vectors, discover novel methods and approaches in software security, apply this knowledge to the security products and GitLab itself. To get a better sense of what the team does daily, you can browse some of the past information sharing sessions.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a no ask, must tell paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
- Dedicate all bandwidth to dogfooding and contributing directly to the Secure and Protect products.
- Carry out research and come up with proofs of concept that affect the security products and GitLab.
- Curate (dependency scanning) advisory databases. This is a semi-automatic task that includes auditing/reviewing, editing existing and adding new advisories to the database while, at the same time, trying to automate repetitive tasks away as much as possible.
- Build/develop benchmarks to test the efficacy of scanning and detection products.
- Measure and Improve the efficacy of scanning and detection products over time.
- Conduct code review of Ruby and Go backend code.
- Build/develop/improve our solutions in the area of static and dynamic analysis.
- Write detailed technical reports.
- Assess security product output results and conduct root cause analysis to improve efficacy.
- Respond to internal and external customer inquiries on vulnerabilities and related topics.
- 2+ years of direct experience in developing and improving vulnerability detection products in the context of web security.
- Knowledge of the vulnerability management process.
- Knowledge of software composition analysis (SCA) and software supply chain ecosystems.
- Knowledge about compilers, compiler design and construction.
- Experience with source code analysis, static application security testing (SAST), and dynamic application security testing (DAST).
- Experience developing automated web security testing/analysis tools.
- Knowledge about benchmarking for testing the efficacy of scanning and detection products.
- Experience completing code reviews of Ruby and Go backend code.
- Experience in product development.
- You have a passion for security and open source.
- You are a team player, and enjoy collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- You are a great communicator (written and verbal).
- You employ a flexible and constructive approach when solving problems.
- You are curious and like to explore & experiment.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- Experience with abstract interpretation, program analysis methods.
- Experience with binary analysis, reverse-engineering.
- Experience with exploit development.
- Scientific data analysis skills.
- Bug-hunting experience.
- 0day discoveries, CVEs.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Senior Vulnerability Research Engineer position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.Remote-North America Remote-APAC Remote-US Remote-global Remote-emea
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.
More Information Security position highlights
- Explore open Information Security Architect Jobs
- Explore open SOC Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Senior Penetration Tester Jobs
- Explore open Staff Security Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Information Security Officer Jobs
- Explore open Vulnerability Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Software Security Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Threat Intelligence Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Computer Network Defense & Incident Response Analyst - Mid to Senior Level Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Security Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Information Security Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Chief Information Security Officer Jobs
- Explore open IAM Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Computer Forensic Software Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff Engineer, Cloud Security Jobs
- Explore open Manager, Cybersecurity and Trust Jobs
- Explore open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering Jobs
- Explore open Cybersecurity Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Cybersecurity Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Personnel Security Officer Jobs
- Explore open Engineering Manager - Information Security, Bangalore Jobs
- Explore open Senior Information Security Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Cyber Threat Analyst Jobs
- Explore open CEH-related jobs
- Explore open Clearance-related jobs
- Explore open Audits-related jobs
- Explore open Open Source-related jobs
- Explore open Forensics-related jobs
- Explore open PCI-related jobs
- Explore open IDS-related jobs
- Explore open Risk management-related jobs
- Explore open NIST-related jobs
- Explore open Ruby-related jobs
- Explore open OSCP-related jobs
- Explore open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Explore open Splunk-related jobs
- Explore open AI-related jobs
- Explore open Google-related jobs
- Explore open IPS-related jobs
- Explore open Security assessments-related jobs
- Explore open Threat detection-related jobs
- Explore open Unix-related jobs
- Explore open Encryption-related jobs
- Explore open Docker-related jobs
- Explore open DNS-related jobs
- Explore open PowerShell-related jobs
- Explore open TCP/IP-related jobs