Security Operations Center Engineer
Cloudflare, Inc.Here at Cloudflare, we make the Internet work the way it should. Offering CDN, DNS, DDoS protection and security, find out how we can help your site.
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Cloudflare Customer Support Team solves complicated problems and answers technical questions via phone, email, chat and social media. Whether it is a Wordpress blogger using our services for free or a global Enterprise business with petabytes of web traffic, we are always eager to assist. We are the eyes and ears of Cloudflare, acting as the real-time voice of the customer to help communicate their needs and real-world use cases back to the rest of the company - for better service and future product development.
Security Operations Center Engineers provide premium-level support for Cloudflare’s security products and features. Our largest and most technically sophisticated customers will contact Support for assistance and intelligence in dealing with threats or attacks on their infrastructure at OSI Layers 3, 4, and 7. This will span the range of Cloudflare security products from Magic Transit Infrastructure Protection, DDoS mitigation and Network Firewall, to using the Web Application firewall (WAF), Spectrum, Bot Management and Rate Limiting to help customers.
Security Operations Center Engineers analyze threats, make detailed and informed suggestions for mitigation and may need to implement mitigation strategies directly on behalf of the customer. The team also provides attack reporting beyond Cloudflare’s self-service reports.
- Monitor and investigate the alerts to identify attacks
- Work with Engineering and Operations teams to mitigate attacks, suggest steps to mitigate, and apply the appropriate mitigation, when applicable
- Work with Engineering and Product teams to improve the products and tools
- Communicate with customers via chat, email, and phone
- Review the latest alerts to determine relevancy and urgency. Create new tracking tickets for alerts that signal an incident and require review or escalation
- Configure / Manager security monitoring rules and contribute to tool improvements
- DDoS mitigation for OSI layers 3,4, & 7: filter malicious traffic using Cloudflare tools like Magic Transit, Network Firewall, WAF, IP reputation lists, packet inspection, blacklisting, whitelisting, and/or rate limiting.
Key skill sets
- Modern internet protocols like UDP, TCP, etc.
- Advanced understanding of iptables
- Analysis of traffic for attack anomaly detection and creation of mitigation rules
- Experience in handling attack mitigation and thorough knowledge of various attacks (L3/4 and L7)
- Knowledge of Cloudflare Security Products & Features
- Technical Support experience
- Good communication skills with high-value VIP customers under attack
- Computer Networking fundamentals
- Command line / Bash shell
- Sysadmin skills (Linux/Mac/Windows) & Programming skills (Python, Ruby, PHP, C, C#, Java, Perl, Git etc.)
- Security skills and certifications: CISSP, GCIA GCIH, GCFA, GCFE, etc.
- Calm under pressure
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
188.8.131.52: We released 184.108.40.206 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Perks/benefits: Career development
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec/Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs