Field Security Specialist (GitHub Advanced Security Pre-Sales Engineer)
Remote - US East
GitHubGitHub is where over 83 million developers shape the future of software, together. Contribute to the open source community, manage your Git repositories, review code like a pro, track bugs and features, power your CI/CD and DevOps workflows,...
GitHub helps companies and organizations succeed by allowing them to build better software, together.
Are you passionate about application security? Would you like to ensure developers get a world-class experience working with security tools? Have a technical and curious mindset? We have a role for you!
We're looking for experienced, technical-minded professionals who want to partner with senior leaders, engineers, and technical teams at our most strategic customers focused on accelerating and growing their success with GitHub Advanced Security. You will become a key expert in supporting customers with GitHub Advanced Security.
The ideal candidate shows a passion to help secure the world’s code.
Field Specialists are also recognized as senior subject matter experts, in part by their activity in supporting customers where they are (including via industry groups, technical committees, and research opportunities) and by using their ability to synthesize customer experience to provide an industry lens in public presentations and writing in addition to supporting a variety of diverse internal teams, including sales professionals, product management, engineering, and marketing in efforts that ensure that GitHub, and our customers, are successful, together.
We're obsessed with our customers and the quality of our work. If you are technically sharp, security-focused and people-oriented, you might be a fit for this role!
- Be able to communicate the details, direction, and technical design of the GitHub Advanced Security product to customers and fellow GitHub employees such as sales representatives and solution engineers.
- Show customers the “art of the possible” when it comes to developer-first security.
- Build and develop solutions to support customers in their journey to adopting GitHub Advanced Security. (e.g. software prototypes and open source solutions).
- Act as an Advanced Security escalation point for regional customers as well as Sales team members
- Help foster a world-class sales experience for our sales team when it comes to selling GitHub Advanced Security. Drive automation and streamlined processes
- 4+ years of customer-facing experience in a technical capacity (for example, but not limited to, sales or solution engineering, technical product management or software development)
- 2+ years of software development, engineering, architecture or technical support experience.
- 2+ years working within a DevOps (or DevSecOps) team
- 1+ years working within a security team (or working closely with a security product and a strong passion for application security)
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time as and when it is safe to do so
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to be a strong team player.
- Team-oriented and possess strong collaboration skills.
- Confident and proven communication skills (written and/or verbal, e.g. internal/external speaking events, blogging, conference talks, podcasts, published content).
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Able to relate technical concepts to customers of all technical backgrounds
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle and related tools
- Specific knowledge about application security processes such as static analysis testing, and security principles
- Knowledge of common security flaws such as cross-site scripting, ability to explain them and familiarity with best practices to avoid them
Preferred Qualifications & Traits:
- Passionate about software, technology and security
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) architecture, GitHub Actions, tools and workflows
- Experience with either Python, TypeScript or Go
- Experience with Query languages; query optimisation; code generation
- In-depth experience in application security concepts such as static analysis, dynamic analysis, control flow, data flow, information flow, security analysis, program transformation, taint analysis and taint tracking
Appendix: Responsibilities - skills
Customer interaction: Adept at working with large and strategic corporations with minimal oversight. Possess Technical and Business skills, including:
- Ability to present vision and strategy to CxOs as well as have deeply technical discussions with Engineering leads.
- Flexibility and skill to adapt conversations or messaging on the fly regardless of the participants.
- Familiarity with the Challenger sales methodology such as MEDDPICC or Command of the Message (not an expected requirement)
Internal collaboration: Engage in cross-functional collaboration within GitHub, including Sales, Professional Services, Technical Product Management, Product Marketing, Engineering, and Marketing. Work with these teams to understand and convey deep customer needs, product roadmap and direction, as well as detailed product and technical capabilities.
- Be an internal expert on customer and industry trends
- Advocating for customer interests within GitHub by communicating customer feedback and perspectives to appropriate teams to be considered in product strategy
- Mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of those around you
External Collaboration: Build a network of leaders, tastemakers/influencers, and customers to inform your own knowledge of the product and corporate landscape as well as position GitHub as an integral part of the security space. Become a trusted partner with leadership at GitHub’s strategic customers, allowing GitHub to provide an enhanced experience, as well as be better able to position GitHub for future sales opportunities. Build relationships with key decision-makers, visit customers on-site, and serve as a trusted advisor and point of contact
- Learn about customers' successes and challenges
- Bring insights to your efforts that cross territories, regions, and industries
- Participate in working groups, panels, and industry forums to share your insight
GitHub Advanced Security expertise: Possesses deep technical knowledge of GitHub’s Advanced Security features and capabilities to be able to position them to customers, as well as provide timely answers to their technical questions. You understand the code analysis landscape and market segment, and the needs of users and developers. You have a high-level knowledge of GitHub’s CodeQL technology.
- Understanding of application SAST/DAST principles, varieties of vulnerabilities and market landscape.
- Strong knowledge of the security community and application security in general
- Collaborate with the GitHub Security Labs team, the Open Source community and GitHub’s Enterprise customers to create the best analysis libraries possible.
Business Development: Be a partner to the field sales team. Help them understand and improve the relationship with their customers. Drive customer happiness, and plans to assess the market opportunity for GitHub Products and Services by aligning resources to meet business goals.
- Provide limited, impactful support to High Potential and Strategic sales opportunities as agreed upon by regional leadership
- Identifying customer business requirements and matching them to product features
- Building joint customer strategies with enterprise sales and field services to encourage product adoption
- Support projects and initiatives that provide sales acceleration opportunities
Represent GitHub: You will be a leader for your market and represent GitHub at customer and partner meetings as well as small and large events. You will be a key resource supporting GitHub to hit aggressive sales targets.
- Deliver live product demonstrations, and sales presentations, and lead clients through proof of technology for GitHub products
- Helping customers integrate GitHub products with their existing tools, workflows, and processes
- Public speaking and outreach (including Demand Generation, Public Relations, Analyst Relations, Webinars and Customer Evidence)
- Represent GitHub at local, regional, national, and international events
Other duties as assigned.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the following States: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Network Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs