Engineering Manager, Detection and Response
San Francisco, CA
BenchlingBenchling is a cloud-based platform for biotechnology research and development.
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As Benchling’s business and team growth accelerates, we are seeing the threats faced by Benching and our customers evolve. As an engineering manager leading the Detection and Response team you will be on the front lines of ensuring the Benchling Detection and Response team is ready for whatever threats we face next. You’ll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program focused on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security. We’re looking for team members who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
- Manage and grow a high caliber team of engineers who focus on protecting our customer’s data
- Build a vision where the team talent can be scaled, our detections address real world threats and our response processes focus on automation when possible.
- With the help of your team members, educate the entire company about the threats faced by Benchling and how we can mitigate them
- Work across the organization to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize a roadmap for your org
- Create and evolve sustainable processes and tools for operations through automation, self-service and reducing complexity
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams’ code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Partner with security leadership on the security strategy, goals and long term roadmap
- Translate strategy into execution by developing and executing quarterly roadmaps with clear OKRs
- Develop organizational culture, processes and tools around horizontal initiatives and operational work management
- Identify opportunities to streamline interfaces and collaborations within and outside of security
- Make Benchling a great place to work by actively supporting career development, growth, and mentoring of individuals, and by fostering a fun and inclusive team where everyone feels welcome
- 1+ years of managing engineering teams in Security
- 5+ years as an individual contributor engineer in Detection Engineering, Incident Response or Threat Intelligence.
- Experience as an incident commander responsible for leading large scale incidents
- Technical leadership skills (you enjoy being a tech lead, mentoring technologists, evangelizing security and privacy)
- Ability to lead complex and major projects in ambiguous situations through influence and not authority.
- Practical experience with attacker tactics, techniques, and procedures
- Experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- Ability to engage and partner with leaders across the organization in cross-functional roles
- Strong communicator with the ability to translate technical security requirements and risks into terms that anyone can understand
- Technical depth and experience in leading significant initiatives in either a IC or EM role
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Our leadership principles guide how all Benchlings can lead by example:
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
If you are a Colorado, Connecticut, or New York City resident: Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to receive compensation and benefits information for this role. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.
Other jobs like this
Senior Azure Cloud Security EngineerAnsible Automation AWS Azure CircleCI DevOps Docker Encryption GCP Incident response +9
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +6
Explore more Cyber Security career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Audits-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs