Principal Security Engineer
Remote: CA, TX, MI, PA, NY, IL
Posted 5 months ago
We believe that the world will become drastically more programmable in the next few years. At Lob, our goal is to build APIs for businesses to increase the connectivity between the online and offline worlds. Companies like Twitter and Betterment use Lob’s APIs to interface physically with their customers. One in four households in the USA has received mail through Lob and our infrastructure handles millions of requests per day. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
As the Head of Security, you will serve as the security expert and advisor for senior management on emerging threats, vulnerabilities and security concerns. You will protect the data of hundreds of millions of mail recipients, ensure new products and designs are architected safe by default, build monitoring and detection systems, work collaboratively with cross functional teams to promote a security-first culture, squash vulnerabilities, and help us achieve our compliance and regulatory goals.
We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact wins across everything we do. The role includes significant autonomy towards defining problem spaces and a mandate to build viable tools which are both internally - and externally-facing. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to have a large sense of ownership, make fundamental impact for the business and the organization in a fast-moving hypergrowth startup.
Our engineering team values agility, collaboration, and autonomy. We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers, but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before. Come join the best people in the business.
As the Head of Security, you will…
- Design, develop, and maintain Lob’s core security protocols, policies, and services
- Present findings and explain impact and solutions to any level of leadership and other engineers
- Build out a comprehensive security roadmap
- Ensure compliance against relevant industry security standards
- Perform regular audits and patch vulnerabilities
- Evangelize and educate security best practices across the company
- Participate in the design of new services and infrastructure
- Create proper automation and monitoring to enforce security policies and detect threats
- Attract, hire and develop security talent
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 8+ years of proven security experience with 2+ years in leadership roles, preferably in an environment where data / systems are in the cloud.
- Experience managing security and partnering with internal/external stakeholders in a high-consequence environments where critical customer/partner data is at stake.
- Proven experience as a hiring manager and team-builder, leading and motivating cross-functional initiatives, and strong partnership with recruiting.
- Thorough understanding of the current threat and attack landscape, latest security trends and principles.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex security technology matters in an easy-to-understand manner to executives, teams and individual contributors across the organization.
- Experience designing/implementing controls to meet regulatory frameworks such as ISO 27001, SOC 2, GDPR, etc
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals