Security Engineer, Detection and Response
San Francisco, CA
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide. At Gusto, we serve small businesses by giving them peace of mind and helping them build great workplaces to attract and retain the best talent.
Gusto processes billions of dollars in payroll every month for small businesses and their employees. Our clients trust us with a huge amount of personally identifiable information (PII) and protected health information (PHI), including SSNs, EINs, salaries, home addresses, and more. Our business is largely built on trust, as a result protecting our clients’ PII and PHI is one of the top considerations in anything we do at Gusto.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Investigate, Understand, and Communicate! Examine information provided by our internal partners, dig into the details and ask clarifying questions, investigate with other resources, provide recommendations for combining tooling and concerns identified around vulnerability reports and pen testing results.
- Build, Deploy, and Improve! Implement and fine-tune our security capabilities towards specific goals of advancing our detection and response techniques.
- Detect and fix the Bad Stuff! Assist in merging data centers and cloud environments into our detection strategies and tools. Manage and maintain alternate tools for specific environments while aiding in merging capabilities into a single tool.
- Positive Company Influence! Work across organizations to affect positive security change as an collaborator, contributor, and communicator.
- Automate everything! Build and deploy automation to cover our core capabilities to provide efficiency and reproducibility in results for the entire team.
- Engage & Educate (and Learn)! Assist employees with security questions, and engage with employees as a member of our helpdesk rotation. Learn from our team and the rest of Gusto in a collaborative supportive manner.
- Experiment, Expand, and Extract! Turn ideas into reality securing Gusto for its customers and employees. We support open source, and can release our good ideas (opens source, blogs, talks, etc) to show how we protect our customers and to assist teams in other companies.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 5+ years in security analysis and engineering roles, ideally focused on SecDevOps, Detection Engineering, and/or Security Tooling
- Experience with incident response, either in-house or through an outsourced service provider. Involved in large scale incident response processes as an incident manager or other significant contributor.
- Ability to partner closely with cross-functional internal (and possibly external) stakeholders to manage projects and incidents to create positive change for the organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AWS and other cloud technologies as well as on-premise systems and data centers, including networks and systems (Unix and Windows).
- 2+ years of experience with infrastructure as code and standard build process, terraform and buildkite preferred.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $157,000 - $235,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $190,000 - $276,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Explore more Information Security career opportunities
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Incident Response Analyst jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Vulnerability Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Personnel Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Architect jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Privacy Manager jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open HIPAA-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs