Application Security Engineer
Application Security Engineer
Austin, TX or Remote
SpyCloud is searching for an Application Security Engineer to join our growing team.
SpyCloud is a pioneer in breach discovery. We strive to help businesses of all sizes mitigate data breaches by proactively alerting when employee or company assets have been compromised. We accomplish this through our early-warning breach detection service powered by a world-class team of intelligence analysts.
Who You Are :
You are a highly technical and experienced security engineer who enjoys taking on challenges. You are very familiar with application security, vulnerability management, code reviews and security control testing. You are looking for a hands-on opportunity in a rapidly growing startup, where your experience maintaining, operating and designing production and corporate security controls will allow you to grow, as an individual contributor and a member of a team. You are energized by the opportunity to take ownership and help build our application security capabilities. You think automation is awesome and you like to understand risk from a technical perspective. You attend and participate in security conferences because you are always learning. You are self-motivated, a great communicator and are able to context switch as needs of the business require.
You will be a part of the team responsible for the security operations that ensure ongoing prevention, detection and response to cyber threats across all of the company’s systems. You will develop and mature our security technologies, working closely with DevOps and Corporate Systems teams to ensure technical security controls are deployed and performing optimally.
Key responsibilities will include implementing and maintaining effective application security tools, reviewing internal code for vulnerabilities, and ensuring the security of data and systems through preventing, identifying and remediating weaknesses and vulnerabilities across our technical infrastructure, applications and platforms.
As subject matter expert, you will also participate in incident response and drive investigation and resolution of cyber security events.
This is a hands-on role involving maintenance and management of production and corporate security tools.
What you will be working on :
- Evaluating and consolidating current and new security controls, offering suggestions to improve our security posture.
- Implementing and operating security technologies across the organization.
- Regular code & process reviews with internal and external team members
- Triaging security issues from our Bug Bounty or Vulnerability Management program, and helping to manage the remediation process.
- Building and maintaining tools for yourself and others
- Collecting indicators of compromise from public and private feeds for the purpose of threat monitoring and mitigation
- Threat hunting with the tools and systems that you maintain
- Taking the technical point lead on incidents or investigations
- Testing new security technologies, identifying and mitigating security visibility gaps.
- Assisting legal and compliance teams with audit work
- Security reviews for new products, technologies, and services
- Secure design, architecture, and implementation
- Secure development life-cycle (SDLC) practices including threat modeling and security testing
- Conducting network and/or application penetration testing
- Creating security guidance and documentation
- Developing security tools and automation
- Developing and delivering security training and outreach to internal development teams
- Leading security projects (including security reviews, tool development, and creation of new security practices) with end-to-end ownership
- Lending support for mentoring, team building and recruiting activities
The ideal Application Security Engineer (SecOps) will possess the following experience, characteristics and expert knowledge:
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and take direct instruction during emergency situations.
- Previous responsibility in management of security vendor relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and treat technical risks.
- Experience in vulnerability management programs and patch management.
- Ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with peers across all business functions.
- Bachelor (undergraduate) degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Software Engineer, Security, or others) OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience with any combination of at least 2 technical disciplines, including the following: cloud security, network security, application security, mobile security, secure development methodologies, software development and coding, identity management, authentication and authorization.
- Professional experience building or reviewing threat models
- Professional experience conducting security assessments, including penetration testing
- Ability to lead through influence within a secure development life-cycle for multiple products and technologies, meeting customer expectations for security
- Experience implementing security solutions that resolve security and business risk trade-offs
- An understanding of networking and communication protocols (such as TCP/IP, UDP, SSL/TLS, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, BGP)
- An understanding of cryptography, web service frameworks, mobile application architectures, and service architectures (such as event-driven, service-oriented, or serverless architectures)
- Familiarity with reverse engineering or vulnerability research
- Familiarity with physical, infrastructure, or hardware security
- Experience with one or more programming languages (such as Java, C++, Ruby, Python, Perl) for the purpose of code review
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate deep technical issues in terms of business risk with non-experts and senior leaders
- Strong bias for action balanced with a strong ability to dive deep into problems
- Strong ownership, urgency, and drive
- Strong analytical abilities and design skills
- Able to work in a diverse team
SpyCloud is not sponsoring visas at this time.
Explore more Information Security career opportunities
- Open Vulnerability Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Threat Intelligence Response Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Incident Response Analyst jobs
- Open Personnel Security Officer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Sr. Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open IAM Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Sr. Software Engineer - Detection Engineering jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Engineer, Cloud Security jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Privacy Manager jobs
- Open Software Security Engineer jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open HIPAA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs