Security Engineering Manager, Detection and Response
Austin, TX, United States
ShopifyTry Shopify free and start a business or grow an existing one. Get more than ecommerce software with tools to manage every part of your business.
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
We’re looking for an experienced security leader to join Shopify’s Trust team and lead our Security Resiliency team!
Shopify has grown rapidly over the last number of years. Through a series of safeguards, the Trust team has created a safe environment for employees to do their best work without risking our merchants' trust. The Security Incident Response team is always monitoring for risk and when bad behaviors are detected (internally and externally), the team jumps into action to remediate the situation.
As the Team Lead of Security Resiliency, you’ll be responsible for managing the security incident response team. You’ll be expected to scale the incident response function using technology, automation and best practice.
This is a trailblazing team! You will have the creative freedom to make a real difference and the chance to work with the best talent. Sounds like the place for you? Read on, and we'd love to hear from you!
- Lead engineering and operations teams to enhance our security incident response capability and perform scalable security alert management.
- Build and establish the methodology and tooling to operate security incident response and alert management at scale.
- Use data to define and develop metrics to tell the security incident response story.
- Organize and run regular game day and crisis scenarios exercises.
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and participate in critical incident response and mitigation efforts.
- Provide direction, mentorship and support to a team of incident responders and security analysts.
- Grow the team through hiring and development.
- Champion the incident response craft, along with leaders from other Shopify teams.
- Be a security advocate at Shopify.
- Run retrospective processes to help both immediate team and other engineering teams at Shopify learn from incidents and improve detections.
- Proven management and leadership skills, allowing you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader security strategies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in building and operating security incident response and security operations programs in a technical environment.
- Familiarity working with senior stakeholders across the organization, both technical and non technical, to develop roadmaps, integrate with larger company initiatives and deliver business and security value.
- Experience being the lead technical responder or participating in large scale and complex incident response in a cloud-based or zero trust environment, leveraging strong analytical and data literacy skills to find the needle in the haystack.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of and/or experience with technologies such as Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Splunk, Okta, GSuite, GitHub, etc...).
- Working with large datasets to gather insights and validate assumptions.
- Participating in an on-call rotation.
- Leveraging technology and software development to automate manual work.
Interested? Hit apply and let us know why you’d be a great match for the role!
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our InfoSec / Cybersecurity Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open EDR-related jobs