Senior Waste and Decommissioning Consultant - Full Time / Part Time
AtkinsRéalis Nuclear has been operating for over 40 years with operations based in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and North America, and are fully engaged in the development of the next generation of nuclear power. AtkinsRéalis are also currently embarked on an exciting journey to become the global leader in providing Reactor Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management Services.
It’s a stimulating time for the decommissioning sector as there is a growing sense of responsibility and investment for the safe dismantling and disposal of ageing nuclear reactors and management of the UK’s significant inventory of nuclear legacy wastes.
Our Reactor Operations and Decommissioning (currently based at Bristol, Warrington and Glasgow) team is a technically diverse group of engineers and scientists and is well-placed geographically to meet these legacy challenges, and the imminent and ongoing decommissioning of the Scottish reactor fleet.
As a result of continued growth, we are looking to recruit a wide range of experienced engineers and scientists to join the team as Senior Waste and Decommissioning Consultants. The location is flexible with hybrid working arrangements.
We are looking for individuals who are willing to take daily responsibilities and make a project thrive. Do you have the behaviours and values that we share? To recognise that information is crucial and are willing to share it. When we collaborate we win and when we don’t everyone misses out. No one owns the right answer, brilliance is a collective. Our differences are our strengths and to promote this by widening and mixing the pool of people that we connect with. Difficult challenges can take unexpected directions but to be resilient and stick with it. Recognise the power of saying ‘I don’t know’. Make trust our default position and to hold strong opinions lightly.
As a Senior Waste and Decommissioning Consultant, the successful candidates will be responsible for the following tasks, depending on knowledge and experience:
- Sharing the same goals on technical projects, alongside key clients, to enable new missions by using problem solving skills on challenging in radioactive waste management and decommissioning. Knowledge of the radioactive waste management lifecycle.
- Working to use and adapt technology to enable decommissioning and waste management to maximise the benefits of collaboration to solve problems, e.g. radiological dose modelling, radionuclide characterisation, automation, robotics and other nuclear waste treatment technology.
- Commit to an open environment of continuous improvement of project/ programme waste strategies including performing environmental permitting and assessment requirements (BAT, BPM).
- Identify opportunities for business change in decommissioning and waste management to Net Zero to have an impact to improve the world and make solutions a reality, e.g. knowledge of integrated waste management, decommissioning waste management planning and radioactive contaminated land remediation.
- Assist in business development by contributing to producing bids and proposals and providing proposal technical text, diagrams, case studies, etc.
- Going global to engage with other team members, sharing knowledge, building networks to deliver the most complex projects working with many different stakeholders.
- Open new careers into Global Net Zero by utilising knowledge and understanding of waste characterisation and inventories to establish waste routes to influence and improve project delivery.
- Maintain focus for the successful project delivery to meet targets whilst working within budget and programme scope.
- Technical leadership in your field of expertise and providing coaching and mentoring to junior members of staff.
- Maintain a strong customer focused and able to maintain and develop client relationships and communications.
- Ideally, degree-qualified in science (chemistry/ physics/ environmental sciences) or engineering (chemical/ mechanical/ process) although candidates with significant relevant technical experience will be considered.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in a related field.
- You may have nuclear/ radiation experience but candidates from other regulated or high-hazard industries such as Oil & Gas, Defence, and Aerospace are welcome.
- Experience of working with others interacting with delivery teams and clients.
- Good standard of written English and the ability to write clear and concise technical reports.
- Flexible in approach to work, and willing and able to travel to client sites, as required.
- Highly motivated and proactive with ability to communicate effectively.
- Able to build, develop and maintain relationships internally and externally.
- Able to meet the requirements for security clearance in the UK.
- Recognised chartership from a professional institution.
- Knowledge of nuclear reactor decommissioning.
- Understanding of the management of radioactive waste on a nuclear licensed site.
- Project management and / or leadership.
- On-site experience at a nuclear facility highly beneficial.
- Experience of bid writing and the bid management process.
Why work for AtkinsRéalis?
The UK is the first major economy to legislate for a Net Zero target by 2050. To achieve this, our nuclear and clean energy teams are ensuring a mix of secure and sustainable energies that can meet our industry and lifestyle demands today, and in 30 years' time. We help to power our world through exciting new technologies and intelligent cybersecurity systems on projects that vary greatly in size, scope, and scale. So, you'll be creating the right safe and resilient systems across nuclear power, renewables, decarbonisation development, new builds and energy efficiency.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy “Total Reward,” a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career. Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
New name, new era. We are AtkinsRéalis. It will take some time for all our information to update – you can still refer to our fantastic benefits via the link below:
More about us:
AtkinsRéalis is a leading global consultancy with over 100 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
At AtkinsRéalis, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our InfoSec / Cybersecurity Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs