Senior Cybersecurity Engineer
As part of the Cyber Risk and Resilience Directorate, you will be part of a team of engineers aimed at applying the latest tools, techniques and methods to resilience challenges. The Senior Cybersecurity Engineer will support the operational capabilities and continued evolution of the Cybersecurity Assurance Team (CA), specifically focusing on cybersecurity training development and delivery. The CA team develops solutions (in the form of frameworks, models, tools, policies, practices, technical guidance, and training) that allow organizations to assess, analyze, and manage organizational, operational, and technical risks to mission-critical assets, processes, systems, and infrastructures. In this role, you will help provide the bridge between our operational capabilities and the development of impactful in-person and on-demand training.
As a Senior Cybersecurity Engineer, you will be responsible for providing subject matter expertise across the entire CA portfolio to assist in the development of impactful training material and resources. You will support cybersecurity assessments standardization and documentation, develop and employ security measurement approaches, and transition your knowledge and expertise to the broader community. You will work collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams solving difficult customer challenges in diverse environments. You will serve as a trusted advisor to defense and critical infrastructure customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidates should have experience/knowledge in several of the following:
- Experience in managing projects
- Experience in delivering cybersecurity training
- Familiarity with cybersecurity standards (e.g., NIST CSF, NIST SP 800 series, ISO 27000 series, etc.).
- Knowledge of assessment methodologies, tactics, techniques, and procedures
- Knowledge of the evaluation of cybersecurity controls and practices.
- Knowledge of conducting security assessments including conducting on-site technical assessments, pre- and post-assessment analysis, preparation of technical reports and briefings to customers.
- Knowledge of critical infrastructure protection concepts and standards.
- Knowledge of information sharing practices and models.
- An understanding of maturity model concepts.
- Ability to deal collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff.
- Ability to communicate with a range of audiences ranging from junior technical individual contributors to senior customer points of contacts.
- Education and Experience: BS degree in a relevant discipline with 10 years of applicable experience, or a MS degree in a relevant discipline with 8 years of applicable experience, or a PhD in a relevant discipline with 5 years of applicable experience.
- Technical Excellence: You have a track record of successfully leading projects for a technical discipline. You are user-centered and accomplishment-focused, driving projects and the people that work on them to successful, high-impact outcomes.
- Leadership: You have the ability to lead diverse teams in analyzing and solving real-world problems by developing engineering guidance as well as applying and tailoring, as appropriate, SEI and non-SEI technologies and resources.
- Working in a Creative, Dynamic Environment: You have experience contributing to multiple simultaneous projects and thrive in a creative and high-energy environment. You are willing to experiment with new practices and develop effective processes, practices, and infrastructure to support successful projects.
- Mentorship: You have experience mentoring, motivating, and empowering less-experienced team members in ways that promote equity and inclusion.
- Communication: You are an outstanding communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of knowledge and experience. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort with ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
- Travel: Frequent (15-35%) to various locations within the SEI and CMU community, customer sites, conferences, and offsite meetings.
- Security Clearance: You will be subject to a background investigation and must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work for CMU in the United States. CMU will not sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa for this opportunity.
- Project Participation and Customer Engagement (80%): You will contribute to customer projects designed to advance the state of the art in cybersecurity. You will represent the SEI regularly presenting our mission and our work to our stakeholders.
- Community Engagement (15%): You will engage with our communities of interest; this includes presenting our mission and work via publication and presentation. You will build and maintain relationships with the relevant research and technology communities.
- Professional Development (5%): You will continue to grow your knowledge and skills in cybersecurity and stay current on emerging trends and topics relevant to the team’s portfolio.
- Strong writing/editing ability. Ability to interact with others and function as a member of a process action team or instructional design working group. Experience with course and information mapping, flowcharting, etc.
- Certifications: A+ CE, CCNA-Security, CND, Network+ CE, SSCP, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Project Management Professional (PMP),or equivalent experience
Job FunctionSoftware/Applications Development/Engineering
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full time/Part timeFull time
* Salary range is an estimate based on our InfoSec / Cybersecurity Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open DoD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs