Associate AI Security Researcher
Are you a cybersecurity and/or AI researcher who enjoys a challenge? Are you excited about pioneering new research areas that will impact academia, industry, and national security? If so, we want you for our team, where you’ll collaborate to deliver high-quality results in the emerging area of AI security.
The CERT Division of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) is seeking applicants for the AI Security Researcher role. Originally created in response to one of the first computer viruses -- the Morris worm – in 1988, CERT has remained a leader in cybersecurity research, improving the robustness of software systems, and in responding to sophisticated cybersecurity threats. Ensuring the robustness and security of AI systems is the next big challenge on the horizon, and we are seeking life-long learners in the fields of cybersecurity, AI/ML, or related areas, who are willing to cross-train to address AI Security.
The Threat Analysis Directorate, is a group of security experts focused on advancing the state of the art in AI security at a national and global scale. Our tasks include vulnerability discovery and assessments, evaluation of the effectiveness and robustness of AI systems, exploit discovery and reverse engineering, and identifying new areas where security research is needed. We participate in communities of network defenders, software developers and vendors, security researchers, AI practitioners, and policymakers.
You'll get a chance to work with elite AI and cybersecurity professionals, university faculty, and government representatives to build new methodologies and technologies that will influence national AI security strategy for decades to come. You will co-author research proposals, execute studies, and present findings and recommendations to our DoD sponsors, decision makers within government and industry, and at academic conferences. The SEI is a non-profit, federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) at Carnegie Mellon University.
What you’ll do:
- Develop state of the art approaches for analyzing robustness of AI systems.
- Apply these approaches to understanding vulnerabilities in AI systems and how attackers adapt their tradecraft to exploit those vulnerabilities.
- Reverse engineer malicious code in support of high-impact customers, design and develop new analysis methods and tools, work to identify and address emerging and complex threats to AI systems, and effectively participate in the broader security community.
- Study and influence the AI security and vulnerability disclosure ecosystems.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of tools, techniques and processes developed by industry and the AI security research community.
- Uncover and shape some of the fundamental assumptions underlying current best practice in AI security.
- Develop models, tools and data sets that can be used to characterize the threats to, and vulnerabilities in, AI systems, and publish those results. You will also use these results to aid in the testing, evaluation and transition of technologies developed by government-funded research programs.
- Identify opportunities to apply AI to improve existing cybersecurity research.
Who you are:
- You have a deep interest in AI/ML and cybersecurity with a penchant for intellectual curiosity and a desire to make an impact beyond your organization.
- You have practical experience with applying cybersecurity knowledge toward vulnerability research, analysis, disclosure, or mitigation.
- You have experience with advising on a range of security topics based on research and expert opinion.
- You have familiarity with implementing and applying AI/ML techniques to solving practical problems.
- You have familiarity with common AI/ML software packages and tools (e.g., Numpy, Pytorch, Tensorflow, ART).
- You have knowledge or familiarity with reverse engineering tools (e.g. NSA Ghidra, IDA Pro)
- You have experience with Python, C/C++, or low-level programming.
- You have experience developing frameworks, methodologies, or assessments to evaluate effectiveness and robustness of technologies.
- You have superb communication skills (oral and written), particularly regarding technical communications with non-experts.
- You enjoy mentoring and cross-training others and sharing knowledge within the broader community.
- You have BS in machine learning, cybersecurity, statistics, or related discipline with three (3) years of experience; OR MS in the same fields with one (1) year of experience.
- Applicants with a solid technical background in AI/ML or cybersecurity, but not both, are encouraged to apply provided a strong desire to rapidly learn on the job.
You are able to:
- Travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion (5%).
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Why work here?
- Join a world-class organization that continues to have a significant impact on software.
- Work with cutting-edge technologies and dedicated experts to solve tough problems for the government and the nation.
- Be surrounded by friendly and knowledgeable staff with broad expertise across AI/ML, cybersecurity, software engineering, risk management, and policy creation.
- Get 8% monthly contribution for your retirement, without having to contribute yourself.
- Get tuition benefits to CMU and other institutions for you and your dependent children.
- Enjoy a healthy work/life balance with flexible work arrangements and paid parental and military leave.
- Get access to university resources including mindfulness programs, childcare and back-up care benefits, a monthly transit benefit on WMATA, free transportation on the Pittsburgh Regional Transit System.
- Enjoy annual professional development opportunities; attend conferences and training or obtain a certification and get reimbursed for membership in professional societies.
- Qualify for relocation assistance and so much more.
LocationArlington, VA, Pittsburgh, PA
Job FunctionSoftware/Applications Development/Engineering
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full time/Part timeFull time
* Salary range is an estimate based on our InfoSec / Cybersecurity Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
USA, VA, McLean (8283 … USA, VA, McLean (8283 Greensboro Dr, Hamilton) Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 52K - 119K USD 52K+
Booz Allen Hamilton
Open Source Research and Strategy Consultant, MidAnalytics Clearance Open Source Polygraph Risk assessment Strategy +3
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +4
Bethesda, Maryland, United States Bethesda, Maryland, United States Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 56K - 105K * USD 56K+ *
Analytic Solutions Group
Cyber Research & Development-SMECNSS Compliance DoD Governance NIST Risk analysis +2
Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care Insurance
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open DoD-related jobs
- Open EDR-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs