Senior Privacy Engineer I
Brooklyn, NY, United States
EtsyFind the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, or Depop you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
The Privacy Platform team is responsible for building systems and collaborating with other platform and infrastructure teams to ensure user data is processed or accessed according to user expectations. As Etsy’s engineering systems become increasingly complex, our role in supporting user privacy alongside fast-moving business goals makes the work dynamic, challenging and rewarding.
The Privacy Platform team is seeking a Senior Privacy Engineer to craft and help lead our privacy-by-design offering, as well as contribute to the building of privacy-protecting systems. As we partner with product, infrastructure and legal teams on privacy reviews, we are looking for an engineer who can understand various problem spaces and proposals, map those proposals to privacy best practices and policies, and collaborate with both the software engineers on our team and stakeholders from other teams to clear a privacy- path forward. The right candidate can also ship code against our internal platform engineering objectives when able. This role is technical and requires strong interpersonal skills, and your success will be measured by your ability to understand, interpret and unblock the work of other teams while defending our team mission to protect privacy.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager, Privacy Platform. The base salary range will be $155,000 to $181,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Brooklyn Hub, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Review product or technical documentation and apply your privacy expertise to identify risks. When possible, provide guidance directly, otherwise confer internally to help craft a path forward.
- Build a network across the company to build trust, actively explore and establish domain expertise proactively.
- Find documentation opportunities, craft it, and test its usefulness with partner teams. We iterate with everything we do!
- Communicate progress on tracks of work, solicit feedback, and use that feedback to grow
- Contribute to hands-on software engineering efforts when able
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Technical background, both hands-on-keyboard coding and systems design
- Understanding of privacy regulations, and how techincal implementations map to them. Instincts for privacy tradeoffs, risks and harms.
- Experience with writing or reading PHP, Python, and/or any other language with the willingness to learn new ones as necessary as Etsy uses a diverse set.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, especially Google Cloud Platform products will be very helpful
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide clear, meaningful, constructive feedback to peers to support their growth
- We are looking for a thoughtful and collaborative privacy engineer to help advance our team’s mission to support user privacy and our company mission to Keep Commerce Human. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every single one of the listed criteria. We value the unique perspectives, skills, and experiences each candidate brings with them.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open DoD-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs