Safety and Security Lead, Afghanistan
The Hague, South Holland, Netherlands
The HALO TrustOur mission is to protect lives & restore livelihoods. By clearing landmines & other explosives we help countries recover after conflict. Find out more.
Safety and Security Lead, Afghanistan
Permanent, Full Time
Location – Kabul, Afghanistan
Salary – £42,000 - £52,000 is a guideline, negotiable and dependent upon experience.
HALO is the leading global NGO addressing the impact and drivers of conflict in 28 countries and
territories, with over 12,000 staff. Most of our staff are local employees and include a growing number of women. Our primary duty is to serve people affected by conflict, clearing landmines and the explosive remnants of war that threaten lives and livelihoods long after fighting has finished. We make land safe where war has ended, while also assisting those affected by active conflict and endemic violence, creating more durable solutions to support stability. HALO addresses human suffering caused by armed violence in some of the world’s most fragile places, securing weapons and ammunition, and working with both state and community actors to reduce the prevalence of armed violence. In recent years HALO has grown significantly. With our financial strength and strong partnerships with corporates, governments and private donors, HALO is uniquely positioned to help build more resilient and prosperous communities; better equipped to respond to the interconnected global challenges of war, climate change, disease, political and economic instability. As a result, the nature of our programming is diversifying to increase the impact we can have.
About the Role:
The Safety and Security Lead will play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and security of all staff working for The HALO Trust in Afghanistan. As a senior team member, you will be responsible for supporting international staff in the programme, leading the programme's Security Cell, and overseeing health and safety matters, including fire safety and electrical safety. Your expertise will contribute to the successful implementation of HALO's humanitarian mine action programmes while maintaining a safe and secure working environment. The role directly reports to HALO’s Programme Manager in Afghanistan and will be the line manager for the National Security Focal Point.
- Provide safety and security guidance to international staff members, considering their well-being and security during programme operations as well as within the various HALO guesthouses and compounds.
- Conduct regular security risk assessments and provide recommendations to mitigate risks associated with programme activities.
- Lead the management and administration of the programme risk assessment and risk registers.
- Develop and implement security protocols, standard operating procedures, and contingency plans for the programme, in line with HALO security policies, running regular practice drills for programme staff.
- Ensure all visitors to programme are correctly inducted in accordance with HALO Standard Operating Procedures.
- Support major training initiatives involving international staff visitors.
Security Cell Leadership:
- Lead the programme's Security Cell, which includes analyzing security issues that may impact the deployment of HALO teams.
- Stay updated on the regional security situation and provide timely advice to senior management regarding security concerns.
- Liaise with relevant external stakeholders, including government agencies and local authorities, to gather security-related information and ensure compliance with local regulations.
Health and Safety:
- Develop and enforce health and safety policies, procedures, and guidelines for the programme in accordance with instruction from HALO HQ.
- Conduct regular inspections of workplaces to identify potential hazards and ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Lead fire safety and electrical safety initiatives, including training sessions for staff members and conducting drills when necessary.
- When required, serve as a focal point for crisis management and emergency response within the programme.
- Develop and implement incident response plans to address security and safety-related incidents effectively.
- Provide training and capacity building to programme staff on emergency response procedures.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Maintain accurate records of security incidents, near misses, and safety-related activities.
- Prepare timely reports on security and safety matters for internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide regular updates and briefings to senior management on security and safety issues.
- This role is directed for international candidates only, and requires co-habitation with a group of international staff in Kabul.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., security management, risk assessment, international relations) or equivalent practical experience.
- Proven experience in a similar role, preferably in a complex and high-risk environment.
- Strong knowledge of security risk management, crisis management, and health and safety protocols.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian standards and practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
- Ability to work independently, make sound decisions under pressure, and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel within Afghanistan as required.
- Previous experience working with an NGO or in the field of mine action is desirable.
All HALO staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
- Work within the framework of HALO’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or group business plan objectives.
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all HALO policies and procedures and keep informed of HALO activities.
- Travel overseas as and when required.
- To discharge duties and responsibilities under HALO’s Health and Safety Procedures which may include Risk and COSHH Assessments and participation in evacuation procedures as necessary.
Benefits of working at HALO:
- Salary of £42,000 - £52,000 guideline, negotiable and dependent upon experience
- Local overseas allowance of $350 per month
- Shared accommodation in HALO accommodation provided at nil cost.
- 49 days of leave annually (weekend inclusive equivalent to 7 weeks of pay leave)
- Three economy return flights to the member’s official home address (or an alternative location up to an equivalent cost)
- Comprehensive insurance package: life assurance and emergency medical insurance, including evacuation and repatriation.
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and supporting statement (no more than 2 pages and in English) detailing why you are suitable for this role, before the closing date for applications which is 8th November 2023. If there is a sufficient calibre of applicants, we reserve the right to close the role earlier than the date noted.
The HALO Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. The HALO Trust is committed to a culture that is both diverse and inclusive and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people form a diverse candidate pool.
More jobs like this
Home based - Americas, … Home based - Americas, EMEA Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 29K - 55K * USD 29K+ *
Security Operations Team ManagerAgile Cloud Computer Science Governance Incident response ISO 27001 +11
Career development Parental leave Salary bonus Team events Travel
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open DoD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs