Head of Security
Remote | San Francisco, CA | Montreal, CA
DescriptThere are simple podcast & video editors and there are powerful ones. Only Descript is both & it features magical AI, so you can skip the hard part of editing. Get started for free.
Our vision is to build the next-generation platform for fast and easy creation of audio and video content. In October 2022, we launched Storyboard, a completely redesigned experience around video creation and what we have always envisioned to be our v1. We are used by some of the world's top podcasters and influencers as well as businesses such as BBC, ESPN, Hubspot, Shopify and Washington Post for communicating via video. We've raised $100M from some of the world's best investors like OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures and Spark Capital.
To justify our ambitious vision and serve our rapidly growing customer base, we’ve been growing our engineering teams and we’ll soon grow past 100 engineers. Having a senior group of engineers has allowed us to invest in the obvious security measures and now we’re looking for someone to help up-level our security posture. As the first Head of Product security, you’ll be responsible for building a product security function to own application, infra and IT security. This is 0→1 role and if you’re someone who enjoys building new functions from scratch, this might be the role for you. This role will directly report into the VP of Engineering (who reports to the CEO).
What You’ll Do
- Set the vision, roadmap and operating model for Security organization ensuring engineering builds secure applications and infrastructure in an efficient manner.
- Hire, grow and retain a talented security engineering team
- Own internal and external security programs such as security awareness trainings, penetration testing, bug bounties etc.
- Foster a strong security culture within the company by promoting security awareness and best practices.
- Advise leadership on information security risks, proposing effective strategies to minimize these risks.
What You Bring
- Has 6+ years of industry experience in product and infra security with at least 2+ years leading a security team for a cloud based software product
- Has Professional experience building web applications and highly scalable systems using public cloud providers (preferably Google Cloud)
- Can effectively collaborates with Engineering and Product teams to balance risk and velocity with product development
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is resourceful: Biased towards action, able to do more with less and knows when to ask for help
Nice to Have
- Experience with AI models or LLMs
The base salary range for this role is $240,000- $300,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.
More jobs like this
., ., United States ., ., United States Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 48K - 90K * USD 48K+ *
Insider Threat Director - 100% US REMOTE ONLYAnalytics Compliance Governance Incident response Monitoring Risk assessment +3
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex hours +5
Home based - Americas, … Home based - Americas, EMEA Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 29K - 55K * USD 29K+ *
Security Operations Team ManagerAgile Cloud Computer Science Governance Incident response ISO 27001 +11
Career development Parental leave Salary bonus Team events Travel
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open SOC-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs