Research Engineer- Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability
Boston, MA, United States
VeriskThe world's most effective and responsible data analytics company in pursuit of our customers' most strategic opportunities.
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Extreme Event Solutions at Verisk (previously AIR Worldwide) is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. Extreme Event Solutions at Verisk founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, and pandemic outbreaks in 90 countries. Verisk offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry. Become a member of our Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability team and join our growing Research and Modeling department in our Boston office. Use your knowledge of civil engineering and statistics to develop models of extreme catastrophic events (i.e., hurricanes, tornadoes, storm surge, flood etc.) and assess building performance in the context of such events.
This research engineer position is responsible for developing and supporting the engineering components of Verisk’s wind vulnerability models that cover multiple regions and perils, including perils such as straight-line wind, tornadic wind, hail, snow, and freezing temperatures. General responsibilities include identifying the impact that these perils can have on the built environment, including physical damage which can result in monetary loss to buildings/infrastructure, contents, and loss of use (downtime). In this role, you will work closely with a team of structural engineers and atmospheric scientists to perform probabilistic risk assessments for the built environment, and present and explain results to internal stakeholders and external clients.
The evolving nature of research work at Verisk creates unique and challenging problems that spark innovation and growth and creates opportunities for its employees. A successful candidate should have a desire to use problem-solving skills in applying sound engineering principles to solve unique and challenging problems in the fields of civil/structural engineering and risk assessment. It is expected that candidates will be highly motivated, detail-oriented, well-organized, able to perform high-quality self-directed research, have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and be team-oriented.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
As a member of our Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability Team, your day-to-day responsibilities will include the following:
- Data acquisition and analysis for the purpose of understanding building inventory and its vulnerability subjected to atmospheric-based hazards in multiple regions worldwide
- Analytical analyses and research aimed towards the development of vulnerability functions and monetary loss curves for structural and non-structural building and infrastructure components subjected to hazards such as wind, tornadoes, hail, and snow for several regions of interest worldwide
- Implementation of research into AIR’s portfolio risk analysis models, including programming loss simulation codes and analysis tools, and probabilistic assessment validation
- Use of GIS tools for data visualization and analysis
- Real-time and virtual building damage assessments due to natural catastrophes during and after significant events
- Preparation and presentation of work at staff internal and client external meetings as well as technical writing for internal and external publications and client-facing documentation
About You and How You Can Excel in This Role
- Ph.D. in Wind Engineering, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, and/or other relevant fields
- Experience in performance-based design, probabilistic and stochastic risk assessment and modeling, and reliability theory with applications to the field of structural engineering
- Proficient in C/C++, MATLAB, R, and/or FORTRAN
- Demonstrated data mining skills (SQL and/or statistical analysis)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and excellent documentation skills
- Knowledge of energy and infrastructure asset design and vulnerability is a plus
- Knowledge of GIS applications (e.g. ArcView) and SQL server is a plus
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the 7th consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our InfoSec / Cybersecurity Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
USA, MD, Annapolis Junction … USA, MD, Annapolis Junction (308 Sentinel Dr) … Full TimeEntry Entry-levelUSD 49K - 102K USD 49K+
Booz Allen Hamilton
Browser Vulnerability Researcher, JuniorAgile C Compilers Exploit Ghidra iOS +4
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +4
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Senior Security Architect jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Security Clearance-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open DoD-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open EDR-related jobs