Cyber Security Internships - Media Tech, Summer 2024
New York City, United States
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
To meet students where they are, we will host internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs. Please be sure to read this job description carefully and note the internship dates, locations, and departments before applying.
In addition to all our internships being paid, we will also offer the following for our Summer 2024 interns:
- Paid company holidays for full-time interns.
- Robust networking, learning and development opportunities for all interns, whether in-person or virtual.
- Financial assistance to offset expenses for transportation and housing may be available on a needs-based basis for eligible in-person interns. More details about eligibility for this assistance will be provided at the time of offer.
Media Tech Summer 2024 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: October 5th at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: June 3 – August 9, 2024
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Here at NBCU, we strive to be on the forefront of leading-edge technology and are seeking a savvy troop of technologists we call Media Tech Interns.
Our program exposes students to technical opportunities across NBCUniversal’s Operations & Technology organizations and serves as a main pipeline into our Rotational Associate Programs. As a NBCUniversal Media Tech Intern, you will gain hands-on experience, allowing you to apply your classroom knowledge to practical situations. We offer a 2 day in-person orientation in our NY office where we bring all interns together to meet each other and various business leaders.
Students will experience firsthand how one of the largest media and entertainment companies in the world operates and delivers strategic, innovative solutions.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Cyber Security, Film & TV Prod: As the Information Security team responsible for the Film/TV/Production space, we work as liaisons between Cyber/O&T and the business. The intern will gain exposure across a broad range of technical and creative disciplines. We currently are involved in a production strategy initiative, reimagining how film and TV are made, leveraging secure technology workflows. The completion of this initiative will redefine the standard for production across NBCU and it's 100+ active sets. The intern will work with team members to support a specific business group. Responsibilities will include compliance metrics, vendor reviews, security engagements, and documenting the business workflows as they relate to Cyber.
Cyber Security Defense Ops I: The Detection team focuses on threat intelligence gathering, enrichment, correlation. The information gathered by intel is used to feed the detection engineering team, who are responsible for analyzing the log data, the intelligence, and building detection signatures for alerting. The hunting team proactively hunts through the environment and log data looking for the abnormal, anomalous behavior that can be associated with actor techniques. The hunting team gathers findings from their hunts and provides the feedback to detection and intelligence. This is a crucial piece in identifying and alerting on additional tactics and techniques used by threat actors. Hunting also provides insight into what an alert or signature might trigger. The threat intelligence team aggregates this data and performs additional analysis. It is important that the data is reviewed, and additional context provided, such as, severity, confidence level, source, date, count of indicator, and if it is known to be associated with any suspicious activity. Internal alerts and incidents that are generated as a result can then be fed back into the lifecycle for further enrichment, correlation, and association. The intelligence team can begin to analyze and make connections between our internal data and the information that is known about a specific threat or threat actor. This information is also useful to identify campaigns against the enterprise. The intern will be supporting the Detection team and will have the ability to work on threat intelligence, detection engineering, and threat hunting projects. A few of these projects will include developing intelligence requirements, enhancing threat hunting workflow and collaboration, developing emerging threat detection capabilities, and alert validation and testing to drive higher fidelity detections.
Cyber Security Defense Ops II: The Response team is part of the Cyber Defense Organization responsible for identifying, preventing, and remediating cyber threats. Our SOC analysts are our first line of defense in ingesting alerts, scoping the threat, and engaging our Incident Response team where needed. We are working on automating some of our analysis in our SOAR tool, which would allow our resource to be able to develop process to reduce the time spent collecting data, and spend more time working interesting alerts. The intern will support ticket queue triage: prioritization, assignment and disposition of security incident tickets/events, analyzing threat data from multiple sources and building evidence backed dispositions, contributing to the creation and updating of new and existing SOAR playbooks and runbooks and general response documentation, documenting evidence throughout the incident life cycle, conducting shift handovers, escalating security events to incident response, and providing support during cyber security incidents.
Cyber Security Engagement, ISO: Our Cyber Security team supports the strategic alignment and partnership for Operations & Technology (O&T) at NBCUniversal. Within this Cyber team, groups and individuals work together supporting many business areas including Corporate Services, Media Services, Platform Development, Engineering, and Enterprise Product and Architecture. In this role, you will support Cyber Security for Enterprise Product/Architecture and Ad Sales Technology. You’ll have the opportunity to work with stakeholders and partners, aligned across multiple businesses and teams across NBCU, on large cross-functional projects supporting Unified Architecture strategy and Ad Sales One Platform. The intern will support developing processes and improving tracking/reporting metrics for Cyber/Business engagements, support Cyber activities for cyber reviews, cyber programs & initiatives, and security service improvements.
Cyber Security Program Management: Our group runs all programs for the Cyber Security team. Our mission is to ensure consistent, structured, and collaborative efforts for a proactive security posture, safeguarding the organization. The media tech would gain exposure to working with all aspects of the Cyber Security team, learning about Identity & Access Management, Security Architecture & Engineering and Governance Risk & Compliance while also learning how to effectively and efficiently organize and run major programs. The intern will support running project meetings, providing weekly status updates, running requirements gathering sessions, creating timelines, and mapping dependencies and organizing trade offs.
Cyber Security, Monitoring Engineering: The intern would support our Monitoring Engineering team and implement solutions for our SIEM and monitoring solutions. The next gen SIEM and data management program would give a great opportunity for the intern to help develop NBCU's data strategy. The intern would develop their security engineering expertise and automation skills using Splunk, Datadog, and data lake technologies to build out NBCU next gen SIEM capabilities. They will also acquire a DEVSECOPS mindset as they implement automation and IaC to enhance current capabilities.
Cyber Security, Attack Surface Management: The Attack Surface Management would have exposure to all of the BAISO leadership who represents all of the Unique business's with the NBCU family. They would have an opportunity to work on building out data set/process that will be utilized for the continued growth of the Attack Surface management and Vulnerability Research. The intern would also support automated collection of key vulnerability data, developing standardization of data set, developing process documentation for how to keep the data up to date, and working with VM leadership to develop reporting criteria that aligns with Business Technology.
Cyber Security Engagement, Enterprise: Our team supports the security of the NBCU platform development/engineering experience and content supply organizations. We facilitate secure development, engineering, planning, and operational support of the systems that NBCU uses to develop applications, create cloud architecture, and produce film and TV content. One exciting project we are currently working on is called Backstage (originally created by Spotify), which is intended to be a one-stop portal with a catalog of software and services that enable developers to securely and quickly build out the architecture and services they need to hit the ground running and do good work. Making sure this platform is secure is one of the major projects going on right now – from protecting its code base, to assuring authentication is in place, to auditing its use. In this role, you'll get to interface with software and platform engineering teams across NBCU and assist in liaising between them and Cyber Security for various engagements, from threat modeling proposed cloud architecture to helping find, report, and track vulnerabilities being closed in software and systems. You'll sync with other Cyber teams as well, getting to know each area and leveraging the security services they provide to help secure the PDEX and Content Supply business areas.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be working from a location within a U.S. state during all hours worked.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Interest in technology or cyber security, knowledge of Microsoft Office, experience with data preferred.
- Pursuing a college degree in: Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Information Systems, Information Systems Security, Software Engineering, Information Systems Security, Computer Information Systems, Networking, etc.
- Basic familiarity with the concepts of Cyber Security.
- Basic understanding of Security Information and Event Management (SIEM).
- Understanding of network and host intrusions, malware, and phishing campaigns.
- Experience in project management or leading groups.
- Python comprehension, troubleshooting skills, Basic AWS knowledge, Database experience.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP.
- Familiarity with SQL.
- Computer skills, basic understanding of business technology architecture (software, services, and concepts of on-network/off-network; understanding of on-premise/off-premise services; general user management and authentication concepts such as multi-factor auth, service accounts, and role-based access).
The hourly rate for undergraduate student interns is $30.00
The hourly rate for graduate student interns is $30.00
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by emailing AccessibilitySupport@nbcuni.com.
Tags: Audits Automation AWS Cloud Compliance Computer Science Cyber defense DevSecOps Governance Incident response Malware Monitoring Python SIEM SOAR SOC Splunk SQL Strategy TCP/IP Threat detection Threat intelligence Vulnerabilities
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Infosec Risk Manager jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Fortinet Firewall Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Terraform-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs