DevSecOps Engineer for MoodleUS
United States - Remote
Moodle with us!
We're the world's most popular learning platform and we’re on a mission to empower educators to improve our world.
Find out about your new workplace...
Moodle is the world’s most trusted online learning solution. The engine of our ecosystem is Moodle LMS, the secure and customizable open source learning management platform used by over 250 million learners worldwide. Developed in conjunction with our community, Moodle LMS is complemented by an ecosystem of products including Moodle Workplace and a network of partners and services providing hosting, customizations and support. We also teach and support educators to create effective online learning experiences and share open education resources. Collectively, we empower educators to improve our world.
Moodle US, a newly formed US-based services division of Moodle Pty, provides services in learning design, implementation support, training, hosting, custom development, and support for Moodle LMS, Moodle Workplace, as well as other Moodle products.
We’ve built a passionate team of hard-working and driven people from all over the world, united by a shared belief in the ability of our platform to make a positive difference to our world. We respect our colleagues and value an open and innovative workplace, filled with integrity and of course a strong focus on education (yes, these are our company values!).
Find out more about us on our website.
What your new job can look like…
The DevSecOps Engineer for Moodle US is responsible for the security of the cloud hosted environment for client Moodle LMS instances. This includes developing and implementing security controls, testing for vulnerabilities, and monitoring the system for threats. The DevSecOps Engineer will also work with developers and operations staff to ensure that security is a top priority in all aspects of the hosting lifecycle. This position will require the ability to obtain security clearance consistent with government contract work.
With the pace of Moodle, no two days will ever be the same!
- Support multiple highly available clusters on (AWS) based infrastructure
- Following best current Devsecops practices for deployments, availability, threats and vulnerabilities
- Administering applications used for automation.
- Assist support team with escalated issues pertaining to client facing applications.
- Monitor and audit cloud infrastructure for security threats.
- Investigate and respond to security incidents.
- Participate in research and testing of new products and enhancements to the overall hosting architecture.
- Participates with on-call rotations.
- Tracks all work and requests in ticketing system
- Participate in development and testing for vulnerabilities in the hosting environment
- Consulting of developers in infrastructure configuration issues
- Ensuring the continuity of business and development environments
- Provide consultation and assistance to remote clients within specified scope of work.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of tools needed by the development team
- Manage and execute on tasks within internal devops projects
- Work with DevOps Lead to develop and execute a roadmap for all product development projects within DevOps and the company at large.
- Accountable for the ongoing review and maintenance of security procedures and policies ensuring they are always kept up to date
- OKRs as agreed with DevOps Lead
- Any other duties as required
Through this journey, you will meet regularly with a mentor to check on your progress, ask questions, and set new goals. Our ultimate goal is to help you develop in this role and in your Moodle expertise.
We’d love to hear from you, especially if you can talk to us about your:
- Strong knowledge of major operating systems, such as Linux, and their administration, as well as of networking, load balancing, protocols such as TCP/IP and services like DNS, Mail
- Proficiency in general security concepts and best practices relating to servers, networks, passwords, 2fa, applications, etc.
- Extensive experience troubleshooting network, system and application issues
- Good understanding of containerization technologies
- Some experience building and maintaining AWS infrastructure (VPC, EC2, Security Groups, IAM, EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudwatch, and Security Services)
- Able to demonstrate experience and disciplines working in a large production environments
- Experience defining and setting development, test, release, update, and support processes for DevSecOps operation
- Utilizing and administration of code repositories (git/gitlab)
- Experience using configuration management tools (Ansible preferred)
- Experience building out infrastructure as code
- Amazing problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to create and maintain detailed documentation
- Desire and ability for quick learning of new tools and technologies
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to propose performance and monitoring improvements
- Basic to mid-level knowledge as db admin (mysql/psql and its AWS flavors)
- Encouraging and building automated processes wherever possible
- Incidence management and root cause analysis
- Being available for on-call support and overtime work
- Positive attitude, able to work well with others remotely as well as without supervision
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you:
- Configuring and support monitor tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, NewRelic, ElasticStack
- Automation experience through CI/CD tools such as gitlab/jenkins
- Experience working with other cloud environments, like Azure or GCP
- Focus on ensuring a secure and stable environment
- Strong understanding and proficiency in security, and applies security knowledge and mitigations daily in all tasks
- Has a good understanding of Moodle as well as experience with Moodle hosting and administration
- Experience working with a service provider-based organization
- Experience using ticketing systems like JIRA
- Monitoring and measuring customer experience and KPIs
- Deep understanding of Open-Source software and organizations
- Experience developing and using Ansible in automations
- Has a strong understanding of Moodle as well as experience with Moodle hosting and administration in production environments
- Strong experience in PHP apps (from backend perspective), including configuration, hosting, multiple applications, in highly available, load balanced, redundant environments
- Experience within multiple organizational business units suited to solutions development that satisfy organizational needs
- Security certification such as AWS Certified Security Specialty, CISA, CISM, or CISSP.
What's in it for you?
We’ve already talked about the importance we place on achieving our mission to empower educators to improve our world, our passion for our values and some of the cool things we are doing as a company.
So what about this?!
- Fully remote opportunity, working from home or wherever suits you
- Flexible work schedule
- Supportive, passionate, and fun Learning Design Team!
- Culture that fosters personal growth and development
- Salary range $100k - $120k annually, depending on experience and education
- Plus, we’ll provide you with a benefits package, including health insurance coverage and a 401(k) contribution
Moodle US is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Moodle US is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Moodle US are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other
status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Moodle will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Moodle encourages applicants of all ages.
More jobs like this
Atlanta, Georgia, United States … Atlanta, Georgia, United States - Remote Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 51K - 94K * USD 51K+ *
#11131 - Compliance Quality EngineerAgile Audits CISSP Compliance Computer Science ISO 27001 +10
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Fitness / gym Flex hours +4
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United … Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States - Remote Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 91K - 147K * USD 91K+ *
Cybersecurity EngineerAnalytics Automation AWS Clearance Compliance ConOps +8
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +1
Explore more InfoSec / Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Management, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Consultant SOC / CERT H/F jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Consultant infrastructure sécurité H/F jobs
- Open Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open o365 Security Architect jobs
- Open Infosec Risk Manager jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Consultant jobs
- Open Chief Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Fortinet Firewall Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Ingénieur DevSecops H/F jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Terraform-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs