Sr. Cybersecurity Engineer
Sr. Cybersecurity Engineer | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a financial wellness system that enables everyday Americans to save and invest every day. We are transforming the category and recruiting a team that is relentless at fulfilling our mission. The Acorns team comes together every day to deliver a revolutionary product to its customers, the up-and-coming. If you thrive in an environment where you can push yourself beyond all previous thresholds of possibility, come join us at Acorns.
We are looking for a Senior Cybersecurity Engineer to evangelize security across teams responsible for in-house-developed Web & Mobile applications, databases, cloud infrastructures, and endpoints. This role will be responsible for:
- Helping developers create secure and hardened applications to ensure the best in class security for Acorns customers.
- Implementing controls to secure our Customer Authentication and our API in the Cloud.
- Helping technology teams secure our cloud (AWS, GCP) infrastructure, and cloud-hosted databases.
- Evaluating and implementing security solutions such as firewalls, threat correlation tools, vulnerability management tools, encryption capabilities, endpoint solutions, etc.
- Participating as a key member of the Information Security Incident Response Team.
We're looking for experienced cybersecurity engineers that love learning new technologies and how to secure them, think creatively to solve complex problems and enjoy working collaboratively. We’re looking for those of you who are inherently driven and fascinated by the art and science of cyber defense.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine or New York offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself to the various technology and application development teams.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Familiarize yourself with our software development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
- Familiarize yourself with our cloud infrastructure and databases.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Review and enhance existing application security standards for Web, mobile, and microservices.
- Review and enhance existing cloud (AWS, GCP) security standards.
- Socialize such standards with various technologists and application development teams.
- Engage in the initial requirements definition and perform security design reviews for applications and cloud infrastructure.
- Evaluate, recommend, and deploy integrated security tools and techniques to improve our ability to protect corporate assets and infrastructure.
- Ensure that identified vulnerabilities are remediated per SLA.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Be a product security champion by driving Security Architecture, Design, and Implementation for in-house developed Web, API, and Mobile applications.
- Become known as cloud and database cybersecurity subject matter expert that technologists seek out for consultation.
- Participate fully and constructively in architecture designs and reviews.
- Propose innovative solutions to mitigate application and cloud cybersecurity threats.
- Mentor and coach junior members of the Information Security team.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ years of cybersecurity experience.
- CISSP certification.
- Strong experience in AWS & GCP cloud architectures and microservices.
- Experience working on large scale cloud-based services (including SaaS, PaaS, IaaS).
- Strong experience of security challenges in deploying Cloud Applications.
- Deep understanding of HTTPS and SSL/TLS protocols, and Web applications.
- Strong background in Android and iOS SDKs.
- Experience in authentication protocols and frameworks to include OAuth, and AWS IAM.
- Deep understanding of continuous integration / continuous deployment processes and tools.
- Ability to interpret dynamic/static analysis tools, and penetration test results and describe issues and fixes to non-security experts.
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery.
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission.
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way