Senior Director, Information Security
FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands and Croatia.
The Opportunity - Senior Director of Information Security
As the Senior Director of Information Security at FreshBooks you will lead the creation, execution, and maintenance of our information security processes, while working closely with our executive and leadership team to constantly evolve all aspects of security across our platform and company. As a highly analytical problem solver who effectively communicating nuanced risk and complex problems, you will be responsible for identifying, reporting, and controlling incidents; managing, training, and ensuring information security awareness is top of mind for the organization; monitoring threats and taking preventative measures; and continuously communicating and co-ordinating company-wide.
This is an exciting opportunity to establish a dedicated function at FreshBooks as you provide vision and leadership to a group of security professionals who report to you both directly and indirectly. Your exceptional judgement and deep domain experience will contribute to your success in identifying and tackling potential vulnerabilities in our systems architecture, development processes, and other security practices. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence, advise and guide various departments across the organization.
What you'll do:
- Define FreshBooks’ information security posture, approach and vision as we continue to scale internationally
- Expertly lead a team of security, privacy and compliance professionals with your team and across the company
- Ensure stakeholders are aligned by building strong relationships using your excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Develop, evolve, and communicate a framework of current information security policies, standards and guidelines including seeking internationally recognized corporate certifications such as SOC2 and / or ISO27001
- Collaborate across all departments to define and integrate best-in-class scalable security solutions, by evaluating emerging technologies and making strategic technology and process recommendations
- Lead the creation and implementation of security infrastructure by raising awareness of security issues to relevant stakeholders
- Manage budget for the information security function, including contributing to on-going and annual planning
- Plan, manage, and execute security measures to protect information in computer systems, databases, cloud hosted solutions and transmissions against accidental or malicious damage, modification, or disclosure
- Conduct risk analysis for functional and technical areas relevant to information security
- Lead the discovery, response, investigation and resolution of potential security threats
- Encourage safe design of systems and infrastructure in line with industry best practices
- Collaborate with external parties, such as law enforcement and advisory bodies when necessary, to ensure that FreshBooks sustains a strong security standing and is kept up to date on relevant threats identified by external parties
- Work alongside compliance to ensure that all information owned, collected, or controlled by or on behalf of FreshBooks is processed and stored in line with applicable laws and other global regulatory requirements
- Define a risk-based set of guidelines for the evaluation of vendors and third parties - including review of contracts and suggestions of alternatives to manage risk
What you have:
- 10 years of experience in information security or compliance - preferably at a SaaS company
- 5 years experience as a strategic leader with the ability to attract, develop, and retain talent
- Strong understanding of system and network security principles and technology ● Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge of technical security concepts in a cloud computing environment
- Experience with PCI audit and process
- Strong understanding of data protection policies, standards and products, privacy rules and regulations
- Experience working with vendors including contract negotiations, vendor management, security assessments, and audits
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects concurrently
What you may have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or related field
- One or more information security / privacy / risk certifications such as CISM, CISSP, or CRISC
- Experience with GDPR, CCPA, PIPEDA or similar frameworks
- Experience with SOX compliance or similar regulatory processes ● Experience in Agile software development or other best in class development practices
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in the heart of Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.