Sr. Product Security Engineer (Spacecraft Engineering) - Top Secret Clearance
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. PRODUCT SECURITY ENGINEER (SPACECRAFT ENGINEERING) - TOP SECRET CLEARANCE
The spacecraft engineering team in Hawthorne is hiring for R&D satellite programs that are pushing the boundaries of in-space capabilities. Our missions support scientific research, classified national security space and commercial opportunities. Software engineering and innovation is at the core of these programs.
The spacecraft software team is building highly reliable in-space networks, designing secure systems to guarantee access to space, and creating autonomous satellite operation systems, and more. Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - we want our engineers to bring fresh ideas from all areas, love solving problems, and seek to make an impact on an inspiring mission. As we expand this team, we're looking for versatile, driven, and collaborative engineers.
Our team is involved in designing the vehicle systems at every phase of development. We build tools that enable us to work more efficiently, and that help us build software systems that are secure, reliable, and autonomous. Our software engineers are responsible for the life cycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and operational support.
- Design and implement tooling and software solutions to meet cyber security requirements for rapidly evolving space vehicle systems
- Collaborate with engineering teams to design and build high-assurance space systems and advanced ground networks
- Act as a security liaison to customers and mission stakeholders to develop security requirements for future SpaceX products
- Continuously evaluate ground and vehicle software for vulnerabilities and develop risk mitigation strategies
- Interface with IT and other product security teams around the company to develop SpaceX-wide solutions for security
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or engineering discipline and 5 years of security software experience; or 8+ years of security software experience without a degree
- Experience designing and implementing security solutions for operating systems, distributed systems, and/or firmware/IoT devices
- 2+ years of experience designing and implementing software in at least one modern programming language such as Python, C, C++
- Experience in exploit development and mitigation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fundamental understanding of network protocols, including the TCP/IP stack
- Knowledge of Linux operating system security
- Understanding of modern cryptographic primitives and how to use them to secure systems
- Experience contributing security improvements to established codebases
- Experience with implementing or breaking secure communication systems, and exploit development and/or mitigation
- Experience interfacing with external customers and communicating key technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Must have an active TS or TS/SCI clearance. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.