Network Security Engineer
Lawrence Berkeley National LaboratoryBringing Science Solutions to the World
Network Security Engineer - 91973
Organization: SN-Scientific Networking
Are you an exceptional Security Professional who likes working on truly challenging problems? Are you passionate about being on the cutting edge of security technology? Do you dream of having mountains of data and telemetry at your fingertips to search for threats and protect the next generation high speed network? Do you love sharing your accomplishments and giving back to the community? If so, consider joining the Security Group (SEC) for Berkeley Lab’s Energy Sciences Network (ESnet). ESnet interconnects the U.S. national laboratory system, is widely-regarded as a technical pioneer, and is currently the fastest science network in the world.
We’re a dynamic organization, highly-motivated and focused on results. Our mission is to accelerate science by delivering unparalleled networking capabilities, tools, and innovations. As an organization, we are small enough to be agile, but large enough to offer rewarding challenges on a global scale. ESnet provides innovative networking and collaborative services to national research laboratories and other Department of Energy sites, connecting them to research and education networks worldwide, as well as the greater Internet. We envision a world in which scientific progress is completely unconstrained by the physical location of instruments, people, computational resources, or data. If you share that vision, ESnet is the right place for you.
What You Will Do:
• Integrate knowledge of network protocols, software security, threats, vulnerabilities, mitigation strategies, and other information to build a security environment that reduces and mitigates risk while allowing ESnet’s open science mission to succeed.
• Serve as a core member of ESnet’s Security Group performing varying security duties including: proactive log analysis, development/management of security software, and resolution of security incidents.
• Lead projects, gather broad stakeholder input, define needs, find solutions, and communicate progress regularly.
• Promote a strong security culture through technical security consulting with other ESnet staff.
What is Required:
• A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Project leadership experience, specifically in gathering requirements, developing technical project scope, finding solutions, and reporting progress and challenges.
• Strong understanding of TCP/IP networks and experience analyzing packet traces.
• Competency with Linux, including scripting and automation.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills, capable of communicating via multiple mediums and to various audiences.
• Demonstrated history of working collaboratively to find optimal solutions.
• Strong preference given to those with networking, agile development, or CI/CD experience.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• This position has the option of working remotely, but limited to individuals residing in the United States.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=192853 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.