Director of Security Engineering
Remote (United States or Canada)
CircleCI is hiring a Director of Security Engineering to lead and guide our growing security function within the company!
You’ll help lead and scale a team of experienced engineers in the security and compliance space within engineering. This team engages with all areas of the company including engineering, legal, sales, product, and support. We aim to provide a best-in-class security posture for our customers and infrastructure.
You will participate in product architecture and planning, project execution scheduling, hiring engineers to build secure systems and work with other teams. If you are a deeply curious individual who brings technical and leadership expertise, and ability to work within a fast-paced scaling startup culture, this could be the next step in your career.
This role reports to the VP of Platform Engineering.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and build a diverse team of high functioning security engineers
- Work with the team to define and deliver short, middle, and long term strategies for securing features, applications, and infrastructure.
- Enable the team to deliver projects and roll out new products at scale
- Craft security strategies and roadmap for the security engineering team to help scale the infrastructure and meet business objectives.
- Manage security infrastructure such as logging, auditing, secret management threat detection, and access management tooling.
- Develop and drive approaches to identify and prevent security vulnerabilities earlier in the software development process in an automated scalable manner and work with engineering to implement these approaches.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to our engineering teams for standard methodologies in secure development.
- Support security initiatives that impact SOX, SOC II, and FedRAMP.
- Provide leadership to a distributed team of engineers and managers
- Define operating metrics and team goals and lead the organization to meet them.
- Develop tools and processes to scale the team's operation where needed to minimize manual efforts for compliance and technical audit.
- Support teams within the org that coordinate with internal and external auditors regarding security controls (SOX, SOC2, FedRAMP, etc.) and privacy frameworks (CCPA, GDPR, etc.) and work to resolve identified gaps.
- Experience in technical concepts similar to cloud computing environments, including logical access control, agile development process, secure coding principles, security architecture, information security, network security, and privacy.
What We're Looking For:
- 9+ years of security engineering experience with an emphasis on secure development, infrastructure, and compliance requirements.
- 5+ years of security (or similar) management experience with demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain talent, specifically for distributed teams.
- Masters/Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Equivalent Experience.
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability, and achieve results.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational aptitude, and project/program management skills.
We’re Particularly Interested In People Who:
- Passionate about evangelizing standards around application and infrastructure security
- An experienced manager with the ability to mentor and develop individual contributors on the security engineering team
- A data-driven problem solver who resists inertia by constantly looking to optimize and improve existing processes
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.