Vulnerability Management Engineer
Herndon, Virginia, US
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Enjoy challenges? Big challenges? Come work for the office of the IBM CISO organization and help meet the global challenges of keeping one of the largest companies in the world secure. We’re looking for enthusiastic and innovative team members to join us.
This position is in the existing vulnerability management squad. The ideal candidate will possess a strong technical and security background with an emphasis on supporting enterprise security applications and services; mainly identifying, managing and reducing vulnerabilities. He / She will work within a fast paced, Agile environment collaborating with cybersecurity architects and technology teams across IBM CISO and business units to implement and support next generation security solutions.
Essential Job Duties:
- Conduct vulnerability scans and assessments at the network, operating system, database, and application levels. Be able to create custom profiles in the vulnerability scanning tools and run scans on-demand basis or be able to schedule them.
- Develop custom scripts and detection methods to identify vulnerabilities when no automated identification method exists.
- Vulnerability Identification and Root Cause Analysis (including awareness of current vulnerabilities and patches)
- Perform analysis of findings to eliminate false positives and to aggregate findings by common weakness enumeration criteria.
- Strong understanding of vulnerability management and security testing practices and methodologies including remote scans, credential scans, Agent based scans.
- Recommend and support remediation/resolution activities associated with any discovered vulnerability in accordance with IBM and Industry Standards.
- Manage and track hands-on resolution efforts with operational support team.
- Ability to infer intelligence of data collected from a variety of cyber defense tools (e.g., IDS alerts, firewalls, network traffic logs) to analyze events that occur within the IBM environments (on-premise and cloud) for the purposes of detecting and mitigating threats.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years professional work experience with technical aspects of network, servers and web vulnerability management solutions
- At least 5 years’ experience in perform vulnerability assessments, analysis, and reporting
- 5+ years of (hands-on) experience in using vulnerability scanning tools (Nessus, Qualys, Nexpose, Netsparker, Burp, etc.)
- Prior experience creating custom scripts to discover, fingerprint and detect ports, services as well as vulnerabilities and weaknesses using Python, Shell scripts, Nmap scripts.
- Ability to understand and reverse engineer exploits, demonstrate Proof of Concept and scanner detection code, ensuring the exploit does not pose any risk to the target systems.
- In-depth experience supporting enterprise vulnerability management across IaaS, PaaS, and/or SaaS and mitigation techniques.
- Good understanding of the OWASP Top 10. Familiarity with vulnerabilities in Open Sources, 3rd party libraries and remediation
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in Container vulnerability scanning and familiarity with tools such as Twistlock and AquaSec
- Industry recognized certification from ISC2, ISACA, CSA, or SANS
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world’s most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Cyber defense IaaS IDS Nmap PaaS Python Qualys SaaS SANS Vulnerabilities Vulnerability management Vulnerability scans
Job region(s): North America