Security Engineer, Strategic Projects
About the Department
Security at Cloudflare is a focused team committed to helping secure both Cloudflare and our customers.
About the Role
In this role, you will:
- Facilitate and drive high-impact Security & Privacy initiatives for Cloudflare and our customers.
- Dive into technical problems and collaborate effectively with technical stakeholders.
- Partner with engineering & product to develop and test MVPs or POCs.
- Perform analysis and research to deliver recommendations on key strategic questions.
- Translate ambiguous problem areas into structured initiatives with defined milestones and dependencies, then execute from start to finish.
- Align with strategic planning to translate high level initiatives and decisions into concrete roadmaps
- Proactively identify, then dig into opportunities for reducing risk, driving innovation, and enabling revenue for Security.
- Transform data and information into actionable, clearly communicated insights.
- Understand Security & Privacy and our products from a technical and business perspective; develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- 3+ years of experience on a security engineering team
- Experience in engineering creative solutions in response to ever changing methodologies.
- Experience in developing and debugging in at least one programming language
- Familiar with the challenges of processing security events at scale.
- Exceptional empathy and integrity. Demonstrated success in earning trust across a broad variety of stakeholders and making principled decisions.
- Technically curious with ability to quickly understand technical architecture and problems / participate in technical discussions. Engineers want to work closely with you.
- Able to wear multiple hats and creatively solve problems without losing sight of the big picture.
- Able to gather information and data directly from source systems and tools (spreadsheet / SQL / programming skills a huge plus).
- Self-motivated and able to progress forward independently with little direction.
- Comfortable owning and juggling multiple projects at once.
- Thrive in ambiguous environments. You are able to ask the right questions and forge clear paths forward.
- Able to maintain operational rigor yet solve for “yes” and enable (not inhibit) our teams.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.