Security Engineer (Threat Detection)
Redmond, WA, United States
Full Time Senior-level / Expert USD 120K - 170K
SpaceXSpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SECURITY ENGINEER (THREAT DETECTION)
SpaceX is targeted by sophisticated adversaries determined to attain or disrupt the cutting-edge technology it develops. The security operations team is seeking technically excellent engineers with a strong understanding of these adversaries. The environment in which you will operate is used to launch rockets and control spacecraft. You will be tasked with detecting threat actors in this environment before they can disrupt or deny SpaceX’s mission.
Your output will be detections and detection mechanisms that provide comprehensive coverage of both known and unknown threats. Your work will involve writing structured queries against large datasets of endpoint and network telemetry, as well as building custom threat detection tooling and frameworks. We encourage the continual practice of adversary emulation to identify novel detections as well as validate the effectiveness of our threat detection posture. If you are interested in detecting and disrupting sophisticated threat actors in order to secure SpaceX’s mission to Mars, let’s talk!
- Build security detections and detection frameworks.
- Perform adversary emulation activities to identify detection gaps in the environment.
- Research emerging adversary techniques and tooling, using the knowledge gained to build novel detections.
- Engage with relevant owners of high-risk systems and services to identify and prioritize detection gaps.
- Investigate anomalous or suspicious behavior in the environment as it is identified in the detection engineering process.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or information security discipline; OR 2+ years of professional experience related to researching, performing, or detecting tactics, techniques, procedures (TTPs) in lieu of a degree.
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages: Python, PowerShell, Go, C/C++, Rust.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with operating system internals for Windows, Linux, and/or macOS.
- Vulnerability research and exploit development.
- Experience with offensive security frameworks and tooling.
- Malware analysis and memory forensics.
- Experience with modern security information and event management (SIEM) systems.
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and security implications of hybrid environments.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:Pay Range: Security Engineer /Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year Security Engineer /Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Tags: C C++ Cloud Computer Science Exploit Forensics Linux MacOS Malware Offensive security PowerShell Python Rust SIEM Threat detection TTPs Windows
Perks/benefits: Equity Health care Insurance Medical leave Parental leave Team events
More jobs like this
Explore more InfoSec/Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Security Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Manager Pentest H/F jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Cyber Hunt SME jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder senior (H/F) jobs
- Open Ethical hacker / Pentester H/F jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Analyste CERT / Incident Responder junior (H/F) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Terraform-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs