Sr. Product Security Engineer
Remote, United States
Posted 1 month ago
Our Product Security team supports the following tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do. As a member of the Product Security team you care about shipping secure products and ensuring that the way in for the bad guys is never through the front door. You are passionate about enabling our developers in shipping secure products. You think about your job as not fixing bugs but finding effective ways to eliminate them. Your work will directly impact the way millions of people, teams, and businesses get things done using Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Contributing feedback to engineers during all phases of the development lifecycle
- Communicating risks to engineering staff through training and technical demonstration of vulnerabilities and secure design patterns
- Maintaining and creating secure development practices and programs for our engineering teams and external developers
- Efficiently scoping blackbox, whitebox, and graybox assessments to optimize security review time and resources
- Performing technical security assessments on our web applications, mobile clients, internal services, and partner applications
- Serving as a public representative for security at Slack by engaging in internal and external speaking engagements
- Maintaining your skills and keeping your technical knowledge current and relevant to the technologies used at Slack
- Seeking out opportunities to automate processes when appropriate
- Mentor junior team members in conducting security reviews
What you should have
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 3+ years experience in security testing of web applications and native mobile apps
- Deep understanding of web application architecture and design principles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and communicate with empathy when delivering constructive feedback regarding security matters to engineers and product designers
- Background in software engineering and common development practices in a collaborative and dynamic environment
- Familiarity with common web application testing tools for DAST, SAST, and IAST analysis such as Burp Suite, Checkmarx, Veracode
- Knowledge of authentication mechanisms like SAML, OAuth, etc.
- Knowledge of common security flaws and resolution as published by OWASP, SANS, etc.
- Knowledge of how to test code and applications across various platforms (iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, etc) for security and quality
- Ability to see patterns, commonalities and investigate complex issues
- Organizational skills to bring together and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues
- Familiarity with Slack products is a plus
- Current or former security training or certifications such as SANS GWAPT or similar is a plus
- Public speaking engagements or published research is also a plus
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.