Senior Threat Detection & Response Engineer
Sacramento, California, US
Information and Data are some of the most important organizational assets in today’s businesses. As a Security Consultant, you will be a key advisor for IBM’s clients, analyzing business requirements to design and implement the best security solutions for their needs. You will apply your technical skills to find the balance between enabling and securing the client's organization with the cognitive solutions that are making IBM the fastest growing enterprise security business in the world.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
The Public Service Sector consulting practice is a trusted advisor to federal, state and local governments, partnering to meet challenges and responding quickly to citizen demands, business needs, new economic conditions, and changing legislative priorities and policies.
In this exciting position you will support the information security monitoring and incident response efforts by collecting and analyzing evidence and improving detections across a suite a security monitoring tools.
- You will also hunt for threats within client environments and play an integral role in the continued development of the IBM MSS Threat Hunt program.
- You will work with other Security team members and partner cross-functionally with Security Engineering, GRC, CTI, and client delivery teams to help prioritize and close control gaps and reduce enterprise risk.
- Experience threat hunting to proactively and iteratively investigate these potential risks and finding suspicious behavior in the network
- Experience investigating network logs for anomalies in order to identify suspicious behavior
- Establish operating procedures to detect & respond to cyber incidents from external threats
- Participate in the on-call rotation and perform hands investigations in collaboration with the security team and other organizational stakeholders.
- Ensure all security detection and response capabilities are working inside defined SLO
- Closely align with Cyber Threat Intelligence team to track emerging threats and develop proactive detections from intelligence
- Be a subject matter expert to other teams and assist as necessary on the design, implementation, deployment, and maintenance of scalable security controls and processes.
- Report on Attack Management Metrics to the Security Operations Leadership
- 70% of time – Security incident investigation and support, event detection and response tuning, forensics activities
- 20% of time – Cyber threat hunting, event monitoring, report generation, documentation
- 10% of time – Mentoring Tier 1 and Tier 2 SOC Analysts
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of information security experience, preferably in intrusion detection and response, threat hunting, or red/purple teams
- Be an active member of the enterprise information security incident response team, provide oversight over security investigations, and assists with the disciplinary and legal matters associates with security breaches and policy violations as necessary
- Deep understanding of Incident Response, Cyber Kill Chain, Threat Modeling, and attack vectors. Familiarity with current threat detection tools and technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of network, system, and web application attacks and mitigations. Understanding of MITRE ATT&CK Framework and associated threat actor techniques
- Security clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Secret Clearance
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with the following specific tools: QRadar, Nessus Security Center, Trend Micro AV, and other EDR and SOAR technologies
- Hands on Experience with Threat hunting
- GIAC and/or other offensive security certifications preferred, but not required
- Security clearance: United States - DoD Secret
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
US Citizenship required.
IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Analytics Clearance Forensics GIAC Incident response Offensive Security Security Clearance Strategy Threat detection Threat intelligence
Job region(s): North America