Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Join a high-performing team responsible for ensuring Intercom remains secure & trusted for customers. More than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to maintain relationships with over a billion customers worldwide and safeguarding their data is our top priority.
As an engineer in the Information Security Group, you will enable our engineering teams to maintain a healthy security posture whilst continuing to drive an ambitious product strategy to deliver customer value.
You will partner with other engineering teams to identify & understand risks across Intercom products and help to create enduring solutions to mitigate those risks. You will identify and detect threats to our business and drive our response to security incidents. You will build and maintain a platform that safeguards our people, products & customer data. You will train engineers in secure software development and grow security champions across the company.
You will be part of a globally distributed team with a strong bias for automation, eliminating toil, and helping each other work sustainably. You will have continuous opportunity and support for your career growth in a company that is invested in helping people do the best work of their careers. Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering
What will I be doing? 🚀
This is a generalist role with a broad scope for an experienced candidate. As a Security Engineer you will
- Support product teams with application security reviews to identify security risks and the design of pragmatic solutions to mitigate these issues.
- Partner with our infrastructure teams to grow our use of automation and infrastructure as code practices and allow us to operate securely at scale.
- Drive security incident response, containing and mitigating security incidents at Intercom in concert with product engineering teams.
- Build and operate the monitoring, alerting & investigation infrastructure underpinning our security engineering program.
- Triage findings from our bug bounty program and collaborate with product engineering teams to create meaningful mitigations.
- Develop and maintain tooling that enables product teams to write and release secure code in an environment where we ship to production over two hundred times a day
- Communicate security topics to engineering teams through training and technical demonstration of vulnerabilities and secure design patterns
- Lead development of new product security features to support the security needs of both Intercom and our customers
What skills do I need? 📖
- First and foremost, you must have a passion for cybersecurity and the desire to develop your skills in a fast-moving company! Having prior experience in a cybersecurity role is a plus.
- You have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl etc.). Note that the language doesn’t have to be one that we use here!
- You should have prior experience in writing & delivering software in a production environment.
- You need experience with Distributed Systems. Building or securing infrastructure in the cloud (we build on AWS) is an advantage.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.