Cyber Security Data Scientist
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
The Cyber Security Data Scientist is driven by an interest in solving complex business and cybersecurity problems through data exploration and analysis. They are highly analytically minded and have a robust technical tool kit. They have substantial experience in analytics with a portfolio of successfully executed models. The Data Scientist will be responsible for executing all steps in the modeling process to produce high quality, reproducible results. They will work with cyber security analysts to support the development of processes and technologies to improve threat detection and response.
This role is responsible for extracting, managing, and analyzing complex network and IT component data and applying AI/ML concepts to uncover opportunities for process improvement. The Cyber Security Data Scientist has strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. The Data Scientist must have a proven ability to drive results with their data-based insights.
Position Requirements and Duties:
- Develop algorithms and applications to apply mathematics to data, perform large scale experimentation and develop functionality.
- Develop processes/tools to monitor and analyze data model performance and accuracy.
- Build and advocate data-driven solutions that help analysts improve outcomes and processes.
- Design and build scalable production-ready analytics solutions using a wide array of techniques and methodologies in the field of statistical modeling, machine learning, and other AI technologies to meet the needs of given subscriber engagements.
- Proposes and evaluates innovative solutions for analyzing, clustering, associating, and classifying data.
- Investigates various methods of data analysis and collection to manipulate data into a desired format or to ensure accuracy of test results.
- Develop and execute A/B testing framework and derive test model quality.
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on developing alternate solutions to existing problems.
- Partner with other DoD data science teams to share best practices and insights to support ongoing learning.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and creativity when developing solutions to improve existing operational processes utilizing methods such as statistical analysis, regression modeling and optimization.
- Extends analytics platform for connected devices and sensors.
- Research new projects for potential development.
- Resolves a variety of technical problems leading to advanced engineering studies designed to increase efficiency or reduce costs.
- Effective communication skills at multiple levels of the organization, including senior management, with ability to communicate complex concepts in easy to understand terminology.
- Experience with network modeling tools and network optimization techniques (long range planning is a plus).
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Assesses domain needs/requirements and implements solutions.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Solid understanding of programming and scripting languages (e.g., R, Python, Java, C++, C).
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Excellent data presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (e.g. Python, R, etc.) to collect, manipulate, and extract insights from large complex data sets from multiple sources.
- Proficiency in data analysis and presentation tools.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with distributed data, cloud computing tools, and big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, RedShift, SageMaker, Map/Reduce, and Hive).
- Experience in statistical and data mining techniques such as GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Trees, text mining, Boosting, etc.
- Eager to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- Knowledge in implementing machine learning algorithms and models.
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
- Knowledge of scientific approach and methodologies.
- Ability to design, organize, and coordinate scientific research projects independently and as part of different functional teams.
- Ability to present to a variety of audiences both technical and non-technical.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet close deadlines.
- In-depth understanding and working experience of Data Warehousing/Data modeling /Data Hub methodologies is required.
- Understanding of key IT/Cybersecurity concepts (Network Security, Security Operations & Administration, Incident Response & Recovery, Identity and Access Management, Vulnerability Management etc.
- Unclassified or Classified Government networks.
- Expertise with networks such as NIPR, SIPR, JWICS and/or NSANet.
- Cloud Security and loT a plus!
- Experience with Cloud Services in the Federal sector (Google Apps, Amazon Web Services, etc.).
- Familiarity with Artificial Intelligence (Al), Deep Neural Networks (DNN), and Machine Learning (ML) concepts.
- Proficiency in use of visualization and exploration tools.
- Bachelor's Degree in Data Science or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Master's or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field preferred but not required.
- 5-7 years in Data Science or similar field.
- 5-7 years of experience manipulating datasets and building statistical models.
- 8570 IASAE Level II – CISSP certification.
- OS certification (MCSE or CCDP equivalent is preferred).
- DoD 8140 Category – CSSP Incident Responder.
- Alternatively possessing non-DoD industry cyber security certifications plus the requirement to obtain the 3 certifications identified above within 12 months of employment.
Security Clearance: Must be able to obtain a TS security clearance
Additional Information: Up to 10% travel may be required.
Spinvi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Spinvi does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Spinvi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Spinvi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Spinvi expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Spinvi’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.