Cyber Threat Shift Lead (Day and Night)
XOR Security is currently seeking several talented Junior and Mid-level SOC Analyst to support an Agency-level SOC at DHS. The SOC program provides comprehensive Computer Network Defense and Response support through 24×7×365 monitoring and analysis of potential threat activity targeting the enterprise. This position require shift management of a team of analysts to delegate, coordinate, and track all activities on your shift. Shift leads will develop shift reports, daily/weekly briefs and presentations, conduct shift pass downs and maintain coverage for each shift and ensure seamless transition between shifts. Shift leads will also be hands on in performing the role of a SOC analyst to conduct security event monitoring, advanced analytics and response activities in support of the CND operational mission.
XOR staff are on the forefront of providing Advanced CND Operations, and Systems Engineering support to include the development of advanced analytics and countermeasures to protect critical assets from hostile adversaries. To ensure the integrity, security and resiliency of critical operations, we are seeking candidates with diverse backgrounds in cyber security systems operations, analysis and incident response. Strong written and verbal communications skills are a must along with the ability to work shift. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of cyber threats and information security in the domains of TTP’s, Threat Actors, Campaigns, and Observables and be familiar with intrusion detection systems, intrusion analysis, security information event management platforms, endpoint threat detection tools, and security operations ticket management. Shift leads will have a strong sense ownership and accountability to ensure the completion of all duties during a shift.
For Shift Leads, there are four shifts available:
Back Half Days 6AM – 4PM or Back Half Nights 10PM to 8AM (Wed through Sat)
Note: We may change to 12-hour shifts with 4 days on for one week, and 3 days on the next week.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Cyber Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in network defense environments with at least 1+ years experience in leading a team or shift in an operational environment.
- Active Secret or DHS Agency Clearance.
- Ability to update and maintain Standard Operating Procedures, conduct after action analysis on incidents and investigations.
- Strong analytical and technical skills in computer network defense operations, ability to lead efforts in Incident Handling (Detection, Analysis, Triage), Hunting (anomalous pattern detection and content management) and Malware Analysis.
- Prior experience and ability to with analyzing information technology security events to discern events that qualify as a legitimate security incidents as opposed to non-incidents. This includes security event triage, incident investigation, implementing countermeasures, and conducting incident response.
- Previous hands-on experience with a Security Information and Event Monitoring (SIEM) platforms and/or log management systems that perform log collection, analysis, correlation, and alerting is required, preferably Splunk or ArcSight.
- Ability to develop rules, filters, views, signatures, countermeasures and operationally relevant applications and scripts to support analysis and detection efforts.
- Strong logical/critical thinking abilities, especially analyzing security events (windows event logs, Tanium queries, network traffic, IDS events for malicious intent).
- Strong proficiency Report writing – a technical writing sample and technical editing test will be required if the candidate has no prior published intelligence analysis reporting, excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability produce clear and thorough security incident reports and briefings.
- Excellent organizational and attention to details in tracking activities within various Security Operation workflows.
- A working knowledge of the various operating systems (e.g. Windows, OS X, Linux, etc.) commonly deployed in enterprise networks, a conceptual understanding of Windows Active Directory is also required, and a working knowledge of network communications and routing protocols (e.g. TCP, UDP, ICMP, BGP, MPLS, etc.) and common internet applications and standards (e.g. SMTP, DNS, DHCP, SQL, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.).
- Experience with the identification and implementation of counter-measures or mitigating controls for deployment and implementation in the enterprise network environment.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies Network Threat Hunting (Sqrrl), Big Data Analytics (Splunk), Endpoint Threat Detection and Response (Tanium), SIEM (ArcSight), workflow and ticketing (HP Service Manager), Intrusion Detection System (IBM ISS).
- Ability to support coverage requirements for various shifts during holidays and weekends when required.
- Ability to work greater than 40 hours per week as needed (occasional night and weekend work required) and/or a 10-12 hour shift in a single day.
- Have one or more certifications for CND Analysts: GCIA, GCED, GCFA, GCFE, GCTI, GNFA, GCIH, ECSA, CHFI, CISSP, Security+, Network+, CEH, CND.
- An understanding in researching Emerging Threats and recommending monitoring content within security tools.
- Experience in analyzing netflow data and packet capture (PCAP).
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies, specific tools listed in parentheses: Network Threat Hunting (Sqrrl), Big Data Analytics (Splunk), Endpoint Threat Detection (Tanium), SIEM (ArcSight), workflow and ticketing (HP Service Manager), and Intrusion Detection/Prevention System (IBM ISS).
XOR Security offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, 401k with a vested company match, vacation and supplemental insurance benefits.
XOR Security is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). M/F/D/V.
Citizenship Clearance Requirement
Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements – US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED.