Application Security Engineer
Remote, United States
BenchlingBenchling is a cloud-based platform for biotechnology research and development.
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As an Application Security Engineer at Benchling you’ll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program from the ground up. Our focus is on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security and embracing automation to keep up with the company as we experience growth. We’re looking for engineers who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
- Partnering with both the Product Design and Software Engineering organization's security and privacy initiatives, leading security design reviews, and threat modeling.
- Performing code reviews of our own and partners’ services and apps.
- Collaborating with engineers on the best ways to mitigate vulnerabilities and reduce risk.
- Participating in our incident response and vulnerability remediation efforts.
- Integrating external and internal security tools and automation into development and build environments
- Developing lightweight SDLC processes to embed into Product Design and Software Engineering workflows.
- Developing secure coding and design practices and training engineering teams.
- Performing black-box and gray-box penetration testing of our applications and services.
- Helping to scale our team. As a member of the security team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our own tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- 3+ years work experience in an application security or product security role including experience with secure code reviews, threat modeling, pentesting, application security tooling and automation.
- Strong communicator with the ability to translate technical security requirements and risks into terms that anyone can understand.
- In-depth experience finding AND fixing web application security vulnerabilities including those found in the OWASP Top 10 and CWE Top 25.
- Strong, general knowledge of the browser security model, modern network security, and cloud (AWS ideally) security.
- Experience with vulnerability management and risk assessment processes.
- Technical leadership skills; you enjoy evangelizing security and privacy.
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is:
- ZONE 1: $162,265 to $219,535
- ZONE 2: $150,906 to $204,167
- ZONE 3: $146,038 to $197,581
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
More jobs like this
Remote, United States, Canada Remote, United States, Canada Full TimeExecutive Executive-levelUSD 240K - 315K USD 240K+
Head of Application SecurityApplication security AWS Cloud Product security Security strategy Strategy Vulnerabilities
Career development Competitive pay Startup environment
Allen, TX, United States Allen, TX, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 62K - 115K * USD 62K+ *
AppSec Consultant – AppSec Automation (100% US REMOTE)Agile Ansible Application security Audits Automation C CI/CD +20
401(k) matching Competitive pay Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +3
Explore more InfoSec/Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Principal Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open IT Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Electronic Warfare Advanced Tactical Trainer jobs
- Open Cyber Hunt SME jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Cyber Program Manager jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Risk assessment-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Cryptography-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open IAM-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open IPS-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs