Cyber Security Engineer
Remote - United Kingdom
Starling Bank is currently looking for a Cyber Security Engineer.
Like a lot of technology companies, we are mostly working remotely at Starling and we think we will be for a while to come. To apply for this role you must be based in the UK and our preference is that you’re located within a commutable distance to one of our offices, so that when we’re able to see each other and collaborate in person again, we’re ready to go!
You will work within the Security Engineering team to engineer and support the technical mechanisms that ensure that the bank's systems and data remain secure at all times. Specific activities in which you will be involved will include;
- Designing, building and maintaining internal security tools, controls and services;
- Automating security processes and procedures;
- Investigation, triage and management of security incidents as part of the Security Incident Response Team;
- Evaluation, selection and implementation of security products and services;
- Technical security review and analysis of proposed solutions to identify and define appropriate security controls and their configuration;
- Contribution to Starling Security Architecture Design Decision Documentation; and
- Identifying current and emerging technology issues including security trends, vulnerabilities and threats.
The ideal candidate will have some, if not most, of the following;
- An in-depth practical knowledge of public IaaS technologies, in particular AWS and GCP;
- A minimum of 2 years experience of working in a DevOps, SRE, Security Engineering and/or software development role;
- A Working knowledge of applied cryptographic techniques;
- Experience in programming in Python, Node.js and/or JAVA;
- Good networking and associated protocol knowledge;
- Experience of selecting, implementing, and maintaining security products and services;
- A practical understanding of logical and (linux) operating system security controls;
- A genuine enthusiasm for identifying security problems and building solutions to them.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
- Full details are available on our careers site
Starling is a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed one million accounts. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have topped £2 billion over the same period. We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award three years running, and now employ almost 1000 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff & Dublin offices.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.