Cyber Security Researcher
At Charles River Analytics, our unparalleled team of technological entrepreneurs work at the forefront of cybersecurity, enhanced AI, robotics, and human-centered computing. At CRA, researchers are free to pursue their research passions while supported by a community of bright, enthusiastic individuals. As a 100% employee-owned company, we encourage participation, innovation, and responsibility from our entire staff. We are proud of our success attracting and retaining the most talented and creative problem-solvers in our field. Join one of Boston's Best Places to Work!
We are seeking a creative cybersecurity researcher to develop innovative solutions to challenging problems in cybersecurity (intelligent cybersecurity software, vulnerability discovery, and mitigation, malware analysis, network protocol security research, attacker modeling). Be ready to lead small, project-oriented teams of scientists and software engineers to create software prototypes of new research concepts; help fully understand the problems, research approaches, design solutions, and evaluate the results; and connect with other researchers, publish papers, attend conferences, and communicate results.
How you’ll make a difference:
- Research solutions to challenging cybersecurity problems
- Analyze systems or architectures to identify and evaluate security strengths and weaknesses
- Model adversary goals, behaviors, and attacks
- Lead staff in a diverse set of fields to develop novel solutions to current cyber analysis limitations
- Design and implement new data integrity software that protects data in transit and at rest
- Design, develop code and test cybersecurity software
- Grow new business areas in the cybersecurity domain and expand existing technical capabilities
- Lead cutting-edge research programs and interface with customers
What you’ll need to be successful in this role:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering with at least 2 years of software development experience in current languages such as Java, C, C++, Python, Scala
- Advanced knowledge of cybersecurity, including expert knowledge in one or more of the following: malware analysis, reverse engineering, vulnerability detection/mitigation, information assurance
- Understanding of networking fundamentals, including network hardware, systems, protocols, and network management tools
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Passion for analyzing complex software systems for security flaws
- Ability to lead diverse teams of software engineers and scientists and grow new business areas
- Published vulnerabilities, or talks/research in the cybersecurity domain
- U.S. Citizenship
Ideally, we are seeking:
- Current certifications and/or an interest in pursuing security engineering certifications, such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Expertise in encryption technologies
- Experience working with US military and intelligence research organizations (DARPA, ONR, AFRL, Army RDECOM, IARPA) or with other R&D companies doing defense-related work
- Knowledge of emerging distributed computing technologies, such as Cloud Computing
- We may request code and writing samples; please include a link to source code on your resume if you have one (e.g., GitHub). We also encourage links to published/discovered vulnerabilities.
Charles River Analytics is a 100% employee-owned company offering competitive compensation plus bonus and profit-sharing, with an attractive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance; vision, life, and disability insurance; paid maternity/paternity leave; tuition reimbursement; monthly gym allowance; free parking; generous paid time off; flexible work hours; all in a casual and collaborative environment. We are accessible by public transportation.