Associate Detection and Response Analyst (Associate SOC Analyst)
ExpelExpel is a recognized leader in managed detection & response. When we spot critical attacks, we can go from alert to triage in less than 3 min! View free demo.
You know that NOP sleds don’t go down snowbanks, and that IR isn’t just on the electromagnetic spectrum. In fact, you’ve owned a few boxes with Metasploit, maybe even tinkered with exploit code. You were really excited the first time you got a reverse shell. Meterpreter might be your payload of choice, maybe even Beacon. You have a lab where you’re spending less time in a Command shell, and more time in PowerShell. You love to solve problems, you’re curious to a fault, and obsessed with learning.
Or maybe you’ve focused just on defense. You remind anyone that will listen to you to update and patch. You understand TCP/IP, know how to analyze pcap files and write detections to defend networks (labs count!). You know ways malware can survive a reboot and how to gather evidence that can prove a file previously executed. You’re constantly reading articles and asking yourself, “how would I detect this?”
Do you dig the breadth and diversity that is the threat landscape? Are you motivated by curiosity to pursue investigative leads and even hunt for attacker activity? Have you gotten a handle on the basics of security analysis and are itching to wield your powers in live environments?
Well then, we'd love to speak with you. Serving as a Security Analyst at Expel may be just what you're looking for. Not only will you help our customers stay safe, you'll learn how to think like an attacker, respond to real attacks, and be encouraged to innovate and solve problems. Surrounded by seasoned analysts, you'll have no shortage of mentors eager to help you master the art.
What Expel Can Do For You
- Get you out of the lab and into real networks with real evil
- Give you an opportunity to learn from seasoned security analysts and incident responders every single day
- Ensure your voice is heard & tied directly to our business direction
- Provide an entertaining small and highly transparent startup environment
- Challenge you to push the bounds of our security vision
What You Can Do For Expel (With the help of training, of course)
- Direct your real passion for information security at protecting our customers
- Participate in our 24x7 shift rotation: x hours, y days, something. If nights are more your thing, please let us know!
- Be perpetually dissatisfied with the state of affairs, then help us get better
- Help us meaningfully impact the security of our customers' organizations
- Once we bring you up to speed, constantly experiment to find new ways of catching bad guys
What You Should Bring With You
- A bachelor's degree in a technical field or a compelling story
- Flexibility and an openness to new challenges because, hey, startup life
- An inquisitive mind and a noble spirit
- A keen sense of humor
- A fundamental understanding of TCP/IP and core application layer protocols
- Fluency with Windows operating systems and command line tools
- Familiarity with cloud applications (O365, Okta, etc) and cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with tools used for forensic acquisition and analysis
- Familiarity with the attack lifecycle (or kill chain, if you prefer)
- If you've got offensive security and/or scripting skills, that's a plus
The targeted compensation range for this role is between: $69,400 USD and $100,600 USD + equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia. However, we realize that while there is a benefit to in-person interaction, good people don’t all live in Northern Virginia. Remote work is an option for this role.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.
Other jobs like this
Cybersecurity Analyst - SeniorApplication security Automation CISA CISM CISSP Compliance Computer Science +6
Career development Competitive pay Health care Insurance
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs