Lead Privacy & Information Security Counsel
New York City or Remote North America
We are looking for an outstanding and innovative Privacy and Information Security Counsel to lead MongoDB’s legal privacy team. You will be a key member of the Legal team responsible for providing leadership, guidance, and strategic insights on privacy, data protection, and security issues for the company.
To succeed in this position, you must be able to work independently and efficiently. You must enjoy meeting challenges head on and thrive in a fast-paced environment. MongoDB is growing rapidly, and every person we hire has the opportunity to help shape the business and grow with the company. This is a full-time position which can be based remotely or in either one of our New York City or Dublin offices.
- Provide strategic legal advice on compliance with state, federal, and global privacy and data protection laws, including GDPR and CCPA
- Lead our internal privacy compliance programs and processes to ensure we meet our ongoing obligations
- Provide counsel to CISO and Security team to support our security program, and advise on security incident investigations and response
- Assist product counsel and engineering in evaluating the impact of privacy and security laws, regulatory guidance, and enforcement actions on our products and business
- Advise and assist commercial lawyers on contract issues relevant to privacy and security, and identify and implement processes to streamline data privacy negotiations and scale legal resources
- Counsel and support our internal data analytics teams
- Advise on employee privacy issues
- Develop and conduct company-wide privacy trainings
- Provide thought leadership on regulatory and industry developments, including the ongoing monitoring and tracking of trends in privacy and security
- Smart, creative, and driven, with great leadership and teamwork skills, and a willingness to take on new responsibility
- 5+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm and/or prior in-house experience with internet or technology companies (applicable litigation, regulatory, or product counseling will be considered), with a track record of providing practical business-friendly advice
- Knowledge and understanding of data protection and information security laws, rules and regulations in the U.S. and globally
- Experience negotiating data processing agreements, particularly in connection with cloud computing services
- Experience providing privacy advice in connection with the development of new products and services, particularly in the technology/cloud computing spaces
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, from email advice to detailed memoranda to negotiations with counterparties
- Strong attention to detail and ability to balance challenging priorities and lead multiple projects simultaneously under deadline pressure
- Excellent judgment and sense of humor
- Licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction
MongoDB provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.