Cloud Security Engineer
We're looking for a Cloud Security Engineer to join our team in London. We are working hard to ensure our engineering teams are empowered with the capabilities and knowledge to build products that delight our customer and making sure our product is secure and stays this way.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You will be working closely with the core Platform and Security Operations team, to ensure what we build is secure and conforms to best practices as we fully embrace AWS, Kubernetes and containerization. You need to be able to architect, design and implement reliable, repeatable implementations of security tooling and services. TransferWise is moving £4bn every month, which means having strong and effective security controls in place, to detect and mitigate risks across our on-premises and Cloud environments. It is imperative that we need to protect our customers’ money - there are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things get back to a new normal) to work with our teams in London and Budapest as well as meet various partners and organizations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take?
- The ability to convince and get your voice heard - you’re comfortable making a case for what you want to do
- Experience being a self starter and working autonomously
- The mindset to solve problems from scratch
- Make appropriate tradeoffs when it comes to design and delivery, iterate where possible - regular feedback is part of our culture
- A healthy passion about Cybersecurity and Information Protection
- Experience with AWS cloud, both in utilising its services and implementing best security practices in such an environment
- Experience with Docker containerisation and Kubernetes security
- Strong communication skills, to promote awareness and adoption of DevSecOps culture
- Experience in scaling security with automation e.g. including tooling in pipelines instead of manual remediation (guardrails, not gatekeeper)
- Experience of threat modelling with Agile delivery teams - facilitate discussions when making tradeoffs between security, risks and platform/product requirements
- Software engineering skills (ideally Java), especially in regards to testing, deployment, monitoring
Nice to haves
- Scripting skills - in either Python/Bash/Go
- Promoter of SRE or DevSecOps practices
- Good discipline and skill in producing written documentation and diagrams
- Skill to work with pentesters, bug hunters and bug bounty programs
- Knowledge of security standards (PCI DSS, ISO, SOC)
- Experience with ELK stack or fluentd, rsyslog, logging in general
- Experience with IDS, SIEM, vulnerability scanning solutions
- Experience with proxies, WAFs, CDNs and low-level networking concepts
- Understand and know how to secure networks, containers and OS
- Understanding of Scrum and Agile development
- Basic understanding of statistics and data analytics
- Knowledge of apparmour, seccomp, eBPF
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
And more… Check out our offer here.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.