Senior Privacy Manager, Trust
San Francisco, CA, or Seattle, WA
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 191 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Creating a world where anyone can truly belong requires a foundation of trust grounded in responsible business practices and consistent expectations of host and guest behavior. The Trust team is responsible for defining our policies and standards and ensuring implementation through communication, product features, workflows and tools, and taking actions when users violate our policies and community standards.
A fundamental part of earning trust means being clear about how we use personal information and protect our community’s human right to privacy. Airbnb focuses on making sure that personal data is used to benefit users by powering their experiences and keeping them safe, empowering our users to have control over their privacy through transparency and control, and implementing strong security measures to protect the personal data that is entrusted to us.
If you are the type of person who feels a personal stake in everything that you work on, has a strong sense of ownership, has a love for data, enjoys solving complex problems, has a passion for privacy, knows how to foster strong relationships and build trust, and works for the success of the entire team - then we look forward to meeting you!Responsibilities
The privacy team is responsible for implementing and maintaining a world class privacy program, supporting our product and engineering work to deliver a respected and trusted experience to the Airbnb community, and maintaining compliance with all applicable privacy & data protection laws. Reporting directly to the Chief Privacy Officer, and partnering with other privacy professionals, the Senior Privacy Manager will:
- Provide significant contributions to the overall global privacy strategy, program design, and implementation plan
- Lead one or more aspect of the privacy program, such as policy and standards, privacy impact assessments, data subject rights processing, privacy controls, user experience, employee awareness & training, or incident management
- Partner closely with a particular part of Airbnb to help enable privacy by design in our products, services and business processes
- Maintain a particular knowledge area specialism, and drive related initiatives, in areas such as privacy in machine learning & data science, data ethics, privacy in marketing & advertising, privacy training, or privacy operations
- Partner closely and collaboratively with the privacy legal team in the execution of privacy program functions
- Ensure compliance and operational risks are identified, escalated to the appropriate team and take appropriate steps to remediate risk
- Keep up with cutting-edge privacy innovations, technologies, approaches, and techniques that can potentially be applied to Airbnb
- Define and drive program planning and prioritization and be flexible to iterate/change per latest developments to meet agreed upon deadlines and business needs
- Define success metrics while keeping the metrics up to date and relevant
- Work closely with all business, ops, and product stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end delivery of our privacy ambitions
- Present program area and initiative status to leadership on an ongoing basis
- 8+ years experience, including at least 4 years experience in privacy management, preferably in a global B2C technology company
- BA/BS degree is preferred.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), or equivalent professional certification is not required, but preferred.
- Exceptional collaboration, partnership and influencing skills with the ability to work in a global environment across multiple locations and time zones to drive consensus and deliver results in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interface well with technical, operations and business partners at all levels
- Demonstrated experience working with product and engineering teams to define requirements and implement effective technical tools.
- Demonstrated ability to translate policy and business requirements and work with various levels of business stakeholders to create innovative scalable solutions
- A deep passion and respect for the people’s privacy
- Outstanding written and verbal communication ability to a diverse stakeholder audience, including a global team of C-level executives, product, and technical stakeholders
- Strong customer engagement and relationship management skills
- More than comfortable in an ambiguous matrixed organization
- Strategic platform and system thinker who can balance big picture strategy with detailed, flawless execution
- Creativity and ability to work independently with limited guidance with proven ability to create structures and develop operational concepts
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and proactive, with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Innate capability to, directly and indirectly, lead cross-functional teams through success
- Model Airbnb core values in how you do your job each day, with an emphasis on Diversity and Inclusion.