Adversary Emulation Engineer (AttackIQ) | Remote, USA
OptivTrust the cybersecurity experts at Optiv, the cyber advisory and solutions leader. We manage cyber risk so you can secure your full potential. Contact us today.
As an Adversary Emulation Engineer you will research and execute threat emulation activities to aid in the assessment of control and process effectiveness against highly skilled sophisticated attacker(s). You will be a part of the team that operates across physical, people, process and technology in an effort to achieve well defined engagement goals and provide clarity on control effectiveness and gaps discovered along the attack path travelled across protect, monitor and response. The Senior Adversary Emulation Engineer will work closely with our Technology Analysts, Engineers, and Architects to service customers. Additionally, the Senior Engineer will be responsible for coaching and supporting less senior resources on the team.
How you'll make an impact:
- Ensuring safe and realistic adversarial threat simulations are delivered.
- Working with peer security technical teams to test and accelerate capabilities to secure its assets, environments and customers through threat centric collaboration.
- Leading, mentoring and developing other team members, to push the capabilities and develop a class leading adversary emulation program.
- Providing technical findings and executive reports which highlight and articulate identified strengths, gaps and opportunities the targeted audience can understand to action against.
- Establishing and maintaining strategic cross-team partnerships to develop a collaborative working environment that maintains an understanding of threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of controls provided by various security enforcement technologies including, but not limited to SIEM, anti-virus, content filtering/reporting, malware prevention, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, web application firewalls, messaging security platforms, and vulnerability scanners.
- Perform knowledge transfers, document, and train clients and less senior team members regarding mitigation of identified threats.
- Facilitate a continuous improvement loop through the execution of adversary emulations, evaluation of control deficiencies or gaps identified as a result of the emulations, providing recommendations around control remediation, and retesting remediation efforts to validate control effectiveness.
- Actively research current threats and attack vectors being exploited in the wild.
Qualifications for success:
- Experience and Skills (General)
- 2+ years experience with adversarial threat emulation/offensive security assessments.
- 2+ years experience with content/use case development or blue teaming.
- High comfort level with conducting testing in production enterprise environments.
- Excellent time management, reporting, and organization skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; including email, case management, procedural documentation, presentations, and meeting facilitation.
- Understanding of security architectures/devices such as firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, remote access technologies, anti-malware, end point detection and response (EDR), SIEM, and cloud-based security tools.
- Experience and Skills (Technical)
- Proven AttackIQ adversarial threat emulation platform expertise
- IDS/IPS monitoring/analysis
- Experience with SIEM platforms (e.g., Splunk, QRadar, Logrhythm, Exabeam)
- Familiarity with web-based attacks, methodologies and frameworks such as Mitre ATT&CK, SANS Top 20, and OWASP Top 10
- Attack vectors and exploitation
- Ability to identify common false positives and make suggestions on tuning
- Mitigation methods
- Direct (e.g., SQL Injection) versus indirect (e.g., cross-site scripting) attacks
- Understand the foundations of enterprise Windows security including: Active Directory, Windows security architecture and terminology, Privilege escalation techniques, Common mitigation controls and system hardening
- Anti-Virus (AV) and Host Based Intrusion Prevention (HIPS): Experience in monitoring at least one commercial AV solution (e.g., McAfee, Symantec, Sophos, Trend Micro)
- Malware: Understanding of root causes of malware and proactive mitigation, Propagation of malware in enterprise environments, Familiarity with web-based exploit kits and methods of exploitation, Familiarity with concepts associated with Advanced Persistent Threats and “targeted malware”, Experience with malware protection tools, Understanding of malware mitigation controls in an enterprise environment
- Network Based Attacks / System Based Attacks: Denial of Service Attacks, HTTP Based DoS Attacks, Network Based DoS Attacks, Brute force attacks, Covert channels, egress, and data exfiltration techniques, Familiarity with vulnerability scoring systems such as CVSS, Basic understanding of vulnerability assessment tools such as vulnerability scanners and exploitation frameworks
- Shift flexibility, including the ability to provide on-call support when needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work greater than 40 hours per week as needed
- Ability to travel up to ten percent of the time
- Ability to act as a part-time on-call escalation point for security incidents
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience
- Experience with Red Team activities (reconnaissance, exploits, scans)
- Experience with Blue team activities (content development, mitigating controls)
- Knowledge of Incident Ticketing Systems (e.g., ServiceNOW, Remedy, Heat)
- Offensive security certifications (CEH, OSCP, OSCE, etc.)
- General security knowledge (e.g., SSCP, GCIA, Cisco CyberOps, Security +, or other security certifications)
• A company committed to championing Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion through our Affinity groups including, Black Employee Network, Disabled Employee Network, Latino Employee Network, Optiv Pride (LGBTQIA+), Veterans Support Network, and Women's Network.• Work/life balance. We offer “Recharge” a flexible, time-off program that encourages eligible employees to take the time they need to recharge • Professional training resources, including tuition reimbursement• Creative problem-solving and the ability to tackle unique, complex projects• Volunteer Opportunities. “Optiv Chips In” encourages employees to volunteer and engage with their teams and communities. • The ability and technology necessary to productively work remote/from home (where applicable)
If you are seeking a culture that supports growth, fosters success, and moves the industry forward, find your place at Optiv! As a market-leading provider of cyber security solutions, Optiv has the most comprehensive ecosystem of security products and partners to deliver unparalleled services. Our rich and successful history with our clients is based on trust, serving more than 12,000 clients of varying sizes and industries, including commercial, government, and education. We have the proven expertise to plan, build, and run successful security programs across Risk Management, Cyber Digital Transformation, Threat Management, Security Operations - Managed Services, and Identity and Data Management.
Tags: Active Directory AttackIQ Blue team CEH Cloud CVSS Driver’s license EDR Exabeam Exploit Exploits Firewalls GCIA IDS Intrusion detection Intrusion prevention IPS LogRhythm Malware MITRE ATT&CK Monitoring Offensive Security OSCE OSCP OWASP Privacy QRadar Red team Risk management SANS Scripting Security assessment SIEM Splunk SQL SQL injection SSCP Travel Vulnerabilities Windows XSS
Other jobs like this
Senior Security Engineer - Compliance OperationsCI/CD Cloud Compliance Computer Science DevOps FedRAMP GDPR +9
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Equity Health care +1
Staff Engineer - Information SecurityAgile Automation Cloud Compliance Monitoring Privacy SaaS
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Equity Health care +1
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Staff Product Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Program Manager jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Pentesting-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open SaaS-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open SQL-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Security assessment-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs