Network Security Operations Center (NSOC) Lead
XOR Security is currently seeking a Network Security Operations Center (NSOC) Lead with advanced skillsets in cybersecurity and incident response, to develop, operate, and mature cybersecurity capabilities, with an emphasis on incident response and cyber threat hunt, for a of federal customer. Candidates should have excellent written and oral communication skills, be able to work independently and as part of a small team, with demonstrated leadership abilities. Skills and experience in Incident Response Management, Security Event Analysis, Cyber Threat Hunt, Forensics, Malware Analysis, Cyber Threat Intelligence (skills in more than one cyber discipline are preferred) and charismatic team management are required for this position.
The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience supporting a 24x7x365 SOC environment as an analyst or engineer and experience as a technical team lead within a SOC; however, the current environment is 12x5, excluding federal holidays, with limited on-call requirements for after hour emergencies, as well as remote delivery, with limited requirements to be onsite permanently, but may change at the customer’s discretion. A solid understanding of cyber threats and information security in the domains of TTP’s, Threat Actors, Campaigns, and Observables. Additionally, the ideal candidate would be familiar with intrusion detection systems, intrusion analysis, security information event management platforms, endpoint threat detection tools, and security operations ticket management.
Corporate duties such as solution/proposal development, corporate culture development, mentoring employees, supporting recruiting efforts, will also be preferred. In addition, flexibility in work locations within the DC Metro Area and performing varying duties is a must.
Job duties include:
- Manage a SOC to provide cyber defense capabilities to a federal entity, providing comprehensive Computer Network Defense support through security event monitoring, advanced analytics and response, and cyber intelligence activities in support of the CND operational mission
- Serve as the subject matter expert (SME) in cybersecurity operations and incident response; provide technical knowledge and analysis of highly specialized applications and operational environments, high-level functional systems analysis, design, integration, documentation and implementation advice on exceptionally complex problems that need extensive knowledge of the subject matter for effective implementation.
- Maintain a 12x5 schedule and minimum-manning requirements
- Construct and optimize operational workflows for 12x5 teams across multiple shifts (6am-6pm / 8hr splits)
- Develop, collect, analyze security operational metrics to optimize SOC performance and minimize organizational risk
- Develop, manage, and update TTPs, SOPs, and playbooks as tactics change, but at a minimum annually
- Develop technical cybersecurity solutions in response to customer requests or in support of proposal solution development
- Provide technical writing support in support of corporate response to RFPs/RFQs from various customers
- Support new XOR engagements as transitional program or cybersecurity lead
- Support documentation of all business and workflow processes in this area
- Provides technical consultation in cyber security capability development
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant cyber security and related technologies as assigned
- Serves as liaison with various customers (internal and external)
- Acts as a subject-matter expert to multiple tasks and/or programs
Candidate must have the required Qualifications:
- At least 8 years of experience in a cybersecurity environment performing analysis and threat hunt functions and 2 years of experience as an IR team lead
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- Strong analytical and technical skills in computer network defense operations, triage, investigation, and incident response efforts
- Previous hands-on experience with a Security Information and Event Monitoring (SIEM) platforms and log management systems that perform log collection, analysis, correlation, and alerting (within Splunk).
- Prior experience and ability to with analyzing information technology security events to discern events that qualify as a legitimate security incident as opposed to non-incidents. This includes security event triage, incident investigation, implementing countermeasures, and conducting incident response.
- Existing Subject Matter Expertise of Advanced Persistent Threat or Emerging Threats.
- Strong proficiency in report writing and briefing senior management (e.g. CIO/CISO/CTO)
- Excellent organizational and attention to details in tracking activities within various Security Operation workflows.
- A working knowledge of the various operating systems (e.g. Windows, OS X, Linux, etc.) commonly deployed in enterprise networks, a conceptual understanding of Windows Active Directory is also required, and a working knowledge of network communications and routing protocols (e.g. TCP, UDP, ICMP, BGP, MPLS, etc.) and common internet applications and standards (e.g. SMTP, DNS, DHCP, SQL, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.).
- Experience with the identification and implementation of countermeasures or mitigating controls for deployment and implementation in the enterprise network environment.
- Ability to work on-call during critical incidents or to support coverage requirements (including weekends and holidays when required).
- Experience in mentoring and training junior, mid-level, and senior analysts.
- Proficiency in utilizing various packet capture (PCAP) applications/engines and in the analysis of PCAP data.
- Ability to develop Splunk content, rules, filters, views, signatures, countermeasures and operationally relevant applications and scripts to support analysis and detection efforts.
- Strong command of Microsoft Teams, MS Office Suite, and MS Planner. (Most communication is in MS Teams throughout the day and MS Planner is used for task management)
- ServiceNow experience managing enterprise incidents
- One or more certifications for CND Analysts: GCIA, GCFA, GCFE, GREM, GISF, GMON, GXPN, CHFI, GNFA, CCFP, LPT, CHFI, CSA.
- One or more certifications for a manager: CISSP, PMP, CISM, ITILv3
XOR Security offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from the first day of employment, 401k with a vested company match, vacation and supplemental insurance benefits.
XOR Security is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). M/F/D/V.
Citizenship Clearance Requirement
Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements - US CITIZENSHIP
Tags: Active Directory Analytics CHFI CISM CISSP Clearance Computer Science Cyber defense DNS Forensics GCFA GCIA GNFA GREM GXPN Incident response Intrusion detection Linux Malware Monitoring Network security PCAP SIEM SMTP Splunk SQL Threat detection Threat intelligence TTPs Windows
Other jobs like this
Manager Security Engineering - Core Services, Payments SecurityApplication security AWS Cloud Computer Science Cryptography Network security PhD +2
Flex hours Team events
Riot Games, Inc.
Staff Security Engineer - Information Security, Identity and Access ManagementActive Directory APIs Automation AWS Azure Burp Suite Cloud +8
401(k) matching Flex hours Flex vacation Medical leave Parental leave
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Firewalls-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open SOC 2-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs