Lead Cyber Operations Engineer
Eden Prairie, MN, USA; Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, Provo, UT, USA; San Antonio, TX, USA
Ready to make an impact? Arctic Wolf is looking for a Lead Cyber Operations Engineer to join our pack.
Arctic Wolf, with its unicorn valuation, is the leader in security operations in an exciting and fast-growing industry—cybersecurity.
How fast are we growing? Well, Arctic Wolf was highly ranked in the Deloitte Fast Technology 500 for NorthAmerica in both 2019 (#25) and 2020 (#104)! We have doubled headcount, customers, and revenue for five years running. We are also cultivating a collaborative and productive work environment that welcomes a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and ideas to make our teams even stronger as we grow our teams globally.
In fact, we were named a 2021 Top Workplace USA (Energage) as the top technology firm to work in our size category, were recognized as one of the 2020 Best Places to Work (bizjournals.com), and most recently were certified as a 2021 Great Place to Work (Great Places to Work Institute, Canada). Arctic Wolf believes in corporate responsibility, and our worldwide offices proudly participate in volunteer programs throughout their communities. We’ve also earned distinction from TravelWise for our efforts in promoting sustainable transportation.Position Overview: The Lead Cyber Operations Engineer provides proactive cyber defense and response services through incident response, threat hunting, and security content development to help protect the Arctic Wolf enterprise. The Lead Cyber Operations Engineer role combines aspects of a Digital Forensics Incident Responder, Security Engineer, Data Scientist, and Threat Hunter. A successful Lead Cyber Operations Engineer possesses a strong ability to communicate, educate, and share information effectively with variety of technical and non-technical people.
- Analyze incoming security events based on different data points, network, endpoint, and log sources expediently, consistently, and accurately Prioritize incoming events exceptionally well
- Perform assessment of cybersecurity incidents to identify the root cause, respond, and recover the environment.
- Steer complex investigations within your area of expertise, and leverage your security knowledge to engage the other experts within other disciplines appropriately
- Perform digital forensic functions including but not limited to host-based analysis through investigating Unix, Linux, and Windows systems to identify Indicators of Compromise (IOCs)
- Process collected data and conduct data acquisitions through in-depth analysis
- Preserve and analyze data from electronic data sources and systems including laptop and desktop computers, servers, and cloud services (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Examine firewall, web, database, and other log sources to identify evidence and artifacts of malicious and compromised activity.
- Use threat reporting and/or the hypothesis-driven method to create, scope and execute threat hunts.
- Search for, identify and document cyberthreats and risks hidden from our existing detection logic, analytics, and machine learning, before an attack can occur.
- Analyze and catalogue findings with respect to tactics, tools, and procedures (TTPs), behaviors, goals, and methods.
- Assist in organizing findings into reports with the goal of identifying and informing readers of environmental and organizational threat trends.
- Assist and review in the creation of predictions for the future of the threat landscape and goals and methods of threat actors
- Proactively interact and communicate with internal customer stakeholders (Internal
- Security Operations Center and AWN corporate security team)
- Mentor junior Cyber Operations Engineers to support their professional growth.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on security role with a strong knowledge of security operations, network engineering, network and endpoint security, data analysis and forensics
- Strong partnering and relationship building skills in a professional context
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of all phases of Incident response.
- Experience in scripting languages (python, Bash and Power Shell) with the ability to parse logs, analyze raw data and automate tasks
- Familiarity with, and understanding of the inner workings of, network protocols and operating systems to include Windows, Linux and Unix
- Working experience with and understanding of enterprise IT operations, including:
- Networking, SSO, Server Administration, Containerization, SaaS and Cloud Infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures using the Mitre ATT&CK framework, other adversary attack methodologies and current and past attack trend
- Degree or diploma in a relevant field, or certifications and experience equivalent
- Clear understanding of enterprise IT security solutions, including: Security Information
- Event Management (SIEM), Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS/IPS), Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR),
- Network Security Monitoring (NSM), Firewalls, Content Filtering, and Proxies, and Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) tools to protect the enterprise.
- Malware reverse engineering
- Malware analysis
- Authentication and identity management
- Risk management, assessment, and common compliance frameworks
- Penetration testing and attack simulation
- Experience with compiled programing languages (C, C++, Java, etc.)
- Ability to break down complex situations in understandable pieces
- Experience with technical writing
Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature and can be executed sitting or standing positions in an office environment.
- Requires ability to utilize technology related to using a keyboard, verbal communication, and work with device screens which require visual acuity.
- If located in a company office, often requires the mobility to physically navigate the space.
- In the event of business travel, mobility sufficient to utilize public and private transport and navigate to essential locations.
- May include moving or lifting of 25 pounds or less (e.g. office chair, reams of paper).
- Typically 10% or less of business travel
- Conducts duties and responsibilities in accordance with AWN’s Information Security policies, standards, processes and controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of AWN business information.
- Background checks are required for this position
At Arctic Wolf, we recognize that success comes from delighting our customers. We believe in being lean – in constantly building, measuring, and learning in all aspects of our business. We truly value people. All wolves are welcome to join the Arctic Wolf pack, with compelling compensation packages, benefits, and equity for employees.
Arctic Wolf is focused on building a workforce that is diverse and inclusive. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply. We review all applications.
Arctic Wolf is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
Arctic Wolf is committed to fostering a welcoming, accessible, respectful and inclusive environment ensuring equal access and participation for people with disabilities. As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any accommodations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tags: Analytics Automation AWS Azure Bash C Cloud Compliance Cyber defense EDR Endpoint security Firewalls Forensics IDS Incident response Intrusion detection IPS Java Linux Machine Learning Malware MITRE ATT&CK Monitoring Network security NSM Pentesting Python Reverse engineering Risk management SaaS Scripting SIEM SOAR SSO Threat intelligence TTPs UNIX Windows
Other jobs like this
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Network Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Firewalls-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open SOC 2-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs