Manager, Detection & Response Engineer
ExpelExpel is a managed detection and response service delivered by cyber security experts. From threat detection to incident response and remediation, Expel provides an enterprise-strength MDR solution for organizations of any size.
Alright, close your eyes. Good. Now, I want you to picture the following person. This person has a real passion for security threat detection. This person eats their Wheaties, with a side of freshly toasted attacker dreams of living off the land or sky (ahem, cloud). As a defender, they think it’s cute that the attacker has the impression they can get by a layered defense by not dropping any binaries and just using PowerShell, WMI, VBScript or the new hotness … and get away with it.
Please keep your eyes closed, we aren’t done visualizing. Next imagine this person is fascinated by engineering discipline. This person wishes unit tests for detections were as simple as importing pytest. They have a deep appreciation for what a great engineer can do with a hard problem. But they’re also someone who loves to solve hard engineering problems themselves, usually at the intersection of detection and response automation to make their lives, and their co-workers lives, a little easier.
Finally, this person we’ve been picturing thrives by working with others. They might eat breakfast and destroy the dreams of attackers, but they genuinely love working together on a problem. They are someone who has worked on a team to investigate and respond to alerts generated by a variety of signals. They know that true scale comes from enabling others.
Now open your eyes. First, I hope your eyes were open and you’re not someone who just blindly does what they’re told! Besides, how else could you have caught all the significant bits? Did you end up picturing yourself?
At Expel we’re taking a new approach to managed security. We spend our time trying to discover ways to keep our customers safe and our security analysts happy. We’re trying to meet our customers where they are—understanding a vast number of attacker tactics, security vendor capabilities, and customer requirements. We believe innovating while handling the combinatorial explosion represents a captivating problem. If you agree, we may have the job for you!
What Expel can do for you
- Give you an opportunity to collaboratively drive a significant security capability of the business
- Enable you to learn from analysts, data scientists, and engineers
- Responsible for various components of Expel’s service and technology
- Facilitate ways to harness event signal from cloud service providers
- Provide an entertaining, growing, and highly transparent startup environment
- Challenge you to push the boundaries of our security vision
- Provide better access to popular cloud, EDR, network, and SIEM technologies than you’re likely to find anywhere else in the world
What you can do for Expel
- Ensure our customers get maximum value from their security investments by designing great integration strategies that support solid detection rules and automated response workflows from the Expel platform
- Continuously improve our integration development pipeline to deliver more value through Expel’s platform at scale
- Work with our partners to extend the capabilities of the Expel platform and improve the overall experience for our mutual customers
- Help ensure our analysts keep learning and doing more sophisticated security work
What you should bring with you
- Strategic but also highly execution focused. You’re able to push projects through from design to delivery without getting stuck in the weeds.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and conflict management skills across communication styles and levels from deeply technical through executive.
- Avid attention to detail, and strong project planning and management skills, even in the face of ambiguity.
- Strong coaching, relationship and team building skills, and a demonstrated ability to influence others.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Challenges don’t disrupt your momentum.
- Excellent writing and editing skills along with an ability to ask questions that gather unexpected answers.
- Ability to build relationships across multiple teams and departments
- Familiarity with various detection and response tools including but not limited to EDR, NSM, UEBA, SIEM, and cloud detection and response products.
- The ability to analyze event and systems logs, perform forensic analysis, and other incident response related data, as needed.
- Knowledge of attack surfaces and corresponding attacker tactics, techniques and procedures.
- Ability to identify relevant data sources, normalize them across toolsets, and work with detection engines to drive effective correlation, automation and orchestration.
- Understanding of various operating systems and cloud service platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure).
- Experience working with RESTful APIs for security automation and orchestration.
- Solid understanding of engineering, applications security, and quality best practices, particularly in SaaS environments.
- Solid understanding of software development in Python or GoLang.
- Proficient at software testing and debugging.
Pay range: $138,800 USD to $201,300 USD + bonus eligibility and equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
This role is based in our Herndon, Virginia office, with the flexibility to work remotely.
At Expel, we ask our crew to provide their covid-19 vaccination status because it’s helpful to understand this data at a company level and we expect that customers, partners, and conferences will start asking us to attest to the vaccination status of our people.
We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: you’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Other jobs like this
Security EngineerApplication security Automation CCSP CI/CD CISM CISSP Cloud +18
Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Startup environment +1
Backend Software Engineer - Security Analytics / Cloud SIEMAnalytics Big Data Cloud Computer Science Elasticsearch Postgres PostgreSQL +2
Competitive pay Conferences Health care Team events
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Firewalls-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open SOC 2-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs