Vulnerability Research Tools Software Engineer
Woburn, Massachusetts, United States
STR seeks a Software Engineer who wants to make a significant and immediate impact on our national security. This role, which requires the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance, will engage as part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers and engineers dedicated to developing cutting-edge technologies. At STR each of our employees has a unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives that are essential to providing our customers with innovative solutions.
Our Software Engineers play in the boundary between the digital and physical worlds by writing tooling to perform vulnerability research on computer systems in that space. The research includes creating digital models of physical systems, probing interfaces for weaknesses, and reverse engineering software. The SW Engineer will develop tools to enable these activities.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who is motivated to work as an integral part of the team and in an environment with technically challenging customer requirements. At STR, we foster a culture that takes pride in developing impactful technologies through collaborative teamwork, while maintaining high standards of craftsmanship, quality. The software systems we develop and deliver must also meet the STR standards of quality, maintainability, and reuse. Therefore, we value experience with sound software engineering principles, as well as software unit test tools and methodologies.
Duties will include:
- Working as part of a small team to design, develop, and test software applications and tools, in languages such as C, C++, and/or Python
- Ensuring software quality through the practice of unit-level and system-level tests and verification Integrating software components using networking/messaging technologies
- Packaging software for easy of configuration control, delivery and deployment
- Communicating technical foundations of software designs and implementations through reports and presentations
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) Security Clearance
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field with 5 years of experience (or MS and 3 years)
- Proficiency in at least one compiled and one scripting programming language
- Familiarity with x86 Assembly Language, Operating Systems Internals, such as file systems/IO, memory management, device drivers, threading, compiler technologies (e.g., GCC, LLVM)
- Experience with software scripting and build automation tools (e.g., bash, make)
- Applied skills using collaborative source code management and software engineering tools (Git, Subversion, Gitlab)
- Active Security Clearance at the TS level
- Experience working on classified programs
- Proficiency in C, C++, and Python
- Experience with standard networking libraries, SQL/No-SQL databases, and message queue technologies (e.g., ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Familiarity with containers or virtual machine technologies such as Docker or QEMU
- Understanding of common software vulnerabilities, and secure programming principles
- Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g., Docker, QEMU), network communications frameworks (e.g., TCP/IP sockets), unit test frameworks
- Knowledge of static and dynamic analysis
STR employees may be subject to COVID-19 vaccination requirement in response to Executive Order 14042 and accompanying Task Force Guidance, unless a medical or religious accommodation is formally approved by STR.
STR is a growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA, near Dayton, OH, Melbourne, FL, and Carlsbad, CA. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security in: cyber; next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare; and artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, and we go home at night knowing that we pushed the envelope of technology and made the world safer.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe! Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at email@example.com and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.
Tags: Analytics Artificial Intelligence Automation Bash C Clearance Compliance Computer Science Docker Go Python Reverse engineering Scripting Security Clearance SQL TCP/IP Top Secret Top Secret Clearance Vulnerabilities
Other jobs like this
Sr Cybersecurity EngineerActive Directory Application security Blue team Compliance EDR Network security NIST +7
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation +6
First Information Technology Services
Penetration Testing Engineer - Red TeamBurp Suite CEH Clearance Cloud Cobalt Strike Compliance CSRF +29
Career development Health care Parental leave Team events
Senior Network Cybersecurity Engineer - TNS ISSOAutomation C CISSP Clearance Compliance Computer Science DevSecOps +12
401(k) matching Competitive pay Health care
Explore more Cybersecurity career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cyber Security in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Architect jobs
- Open IT Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Air Defense/BMD Subject Matter Expert jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Security Consultant jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Specialist jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Vulnerability management-related jobs
- Open Network security-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Firewalls-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open SOC 2-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs